Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Thinking Outside of the Box......

Outdoor Family

Was wondering with the temps being close to 40 in south central this Friday and Saturday with rain and the cold coming in on Sunday night, could one frost seed on ground that has been sprayed and brushhoged??? I have some clover and I'm wondering if I should spread it???I know that it might not be "perfect" both time of year and first season opening weekend, but wants an hour and a hand spreader...

My fear would be that we get a warm spell, the clover germinates, then the cold weather comes back and kills it.

Some seed like switchgrass seed is harder and "tougher"...naturally designed to last thru punishing winter weather and not germinate until warm late spring weather brings the stratified seed to life...however...

clover seed isn't designed quite that way and can literally rot thru the severe freezing, cold wet, thawing, etc. of a long mid-west winter. Sowed heavy enough some will no doubt survive but...

for best results wait until Feb/March and sow on bare ground (some say snow is ok...but if it melts fast....) the light freezing/thawing weather will just work the seed into the soil (enough to make seed/soil contact) and 30-60 days later warm weather will have it germinating and on it's way.

if in your case you are unable to make it back down to seed in late winter and you want to chance it...let us know how it works...who knows...you may teach an old dog (no comments please /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif ) new tricks! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

While we're at this, where should I store my leftover seed? I have clover and a little AWP. Warm dry basement or cold garage?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While we're at this, where should I store my leftover seed? I have clover and a little AWP. Warm dry basement or cold garage? </div></div>

I think the key is dry...I store mine in the garage in 5 gallon buckets with lids and it seems to work fine.

Trying to catch up on some responses…
Making a long story short, I’ll wait until early spring and do it right. I just didn’t have a good “gut “feeling that it would work. Also, thanks for the answer on seed storage, as now that needs to happen…..

Top Bottom