Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

thinning pines

flugge

So on one of the properties I hunt, there is a huge pine "plantation". Roughly 15 acres I would say. Now, when planted they were to close so of course I have a ton of dead trees and bare trees. I have a few questions...
As I start this, I am going to go through and cut every dead tree out... is that smart?
Secondly, If I get space in there, will the other trees "fill" out, or if they are pretty much dead towards the bottom are they done for to?
Thirdly, can I use all these and make small piles in the other trees for bedding areas?
Just taking a shot in the dark really...the places that I clear these trees I am going to spread lime and put corn in there next year, and it will still have 4 rows of pines to keep it shielded from the road...
thoughts, comments, concerns?

The trees that appear 'dead at the bottom' are not dead. Pine trees self prune when they are planted close to each other. This makes the trees grow up rather than out.

Top Bottom