Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Those who shoot a muzzleloader

Shredder

Life Member
I am thinking of switching from saboted bullets over to the Powerbelt bullets and want folks opinions on both. My current setup uses 240 grain Hornady XTP 45 cal bullet and a 50 cal sabot along with Triple 7 powder 100grains. I have had good luck with this load but want a change.

hey shredder, my ole man has a knight super 45 disc, and he shot powerbelts last year, shooting 120 grains loose pistol powder. they shot really really well, the only thing he didnt like about them is in the 5 deer he shot with them, not one exited. they go in and expand like crazy, but seem to stop before exit. all deer died right away, but the tracking was hard at times, with only one hole instead of two. thats the same problem I had with deadcenter bullets by precision rifle. they had excellent expansion, but never made a pass thru, on one of the 4 deer I shot with them, which also had very hard to follow blood trails, the deer didnt usually go far but we are both going back to bullets that will go through both sides. the powerbelt is an excellent bullet, just telling my dads experience with them is all, dead is dead right
smile.gif

Shredder, I shot PB last year and had similar results to Liv's Dad. No Exit wound and very poor blood trail. I think Travis (Central IA) has a great bullet / powder combination for his Encore. I am going to change to something different. If I recall Moosehunter knows his M/L's too.

Unlike Liv's experiences with the PB dead center, I have found them to pass thru as designed. Either that or they drop the animal in their tracks. I am very happy with them and they are by far the most accurate bullet ever shot out of my gun. The only thing that I don't like about them is the price. As for the powerbelts, my gun didn't like them but I am sure you will find some people who do like them.

hey shredder, i would seriously reccomend the PB's. although i do feel that it all depends on the gun you shoot. i have 2 brother in laws ones shoots an encore the other shoots a remington and i shoot an Omega, we all shoot the exact same grain PB and 100 grams of powder. now we all 3 took deer this past ML season. both there deer were killed at around 100 yards, i killed my doe at 163 yards, now all 3 deer dropped in there tracks, but after they were skinned out and we were cutting them up, i found 14 pieces of PB slucg in the chest cavity of my deer, and 8 pieces in there's. so really either way this bullet more then does it's job no matter what distance. now i do feel that the 1 in 28ths twist in my the barrel of my Omega had a lot to do with the impact of the bullet. just my 2 cents. now don't get me wrong i ain't saying that these are the best on the market, i'm just saying that they are the best i have shot yet, now i have only shot the buffalo balls, sabots, and PB's, and the PB's are the best yet!
waytogo.gif

I agree with 150, I shoot T/C with 295 grain pb and 100 grains of pyrodex and havent had a problem with killing deer or getting a pass through. It hits them hard. They are also the most accurate i have shot. I can group them to about 3-4 inches at 150 yards. They are a good bullet, I don't think you can go wrong, my opinion

I bought my Omega one day before our rifle season last year; I sighted it in with 245gr power belts and 150 grains of pyrodex. I sighted it in at 60 yards flat; it shot 8" low at 200 yards. The next day I shot a doe at sunrise she went 30 yards and one hour latter I shot a 130" ten point, he went 30 yards, both bullets did not pass though, but there was blood everywhere! Both bullets made it to the cape on the other side of the deer, I think that is sure sign a bullet is doing its job, and that it is perfectly designed for whitetails.
grin.gif

PS 150 grains will rock your world though
crazy.gif

one thing to keep in mind about powerbelts, is that they are made by T/C, and usually shoot better in their guns. there are 2 different rifling methods, used by knight and other brands, which results in knights having a slightly different barrel diameter that the other brands. some knight shooters have had terrible results/groups with PBs. i have been using the knight jacketed hollow points, and have had passthroughs every time. i also use pellets, and i use 3. i think i will change to hornaday SST's or, most likely, the barnes redhots (as knight suggests) and will change to 777

This past season I used the new shock wave sabotes and was amazed. I got almost every tag I could and filled most of them with my Knight rifle. Six deer dropped in their tracks and a seventh was knocked down and then managed to crawl about 30 yards. All shots were either neck or shoulder shots with great results. I used the 245 grain hollow point powerbelts 2 years ago and had the same no exit results that others complained about. No blood trail in October means tough tracking. I think some thing is wrong with a bulet that won't exit at 30 yards and 150 grains of powder. It is just my opinon but I would not recomend power belts.

Sorry...t-roy jogged my memory...I am using the .52 Knight hollow point not the PB with 150 grns of loose triple 7 in my .52

The local True Value here in Clarinda has some of the Power Belt projectiles packaged in red and black with a Knight Rifle logo.

When I went into Knight’s web site I could not find the Power belts any where.

I email Knight Customer support and they promptly got back with me. They stated that they no longer sell or endorse the Power Belts. They stated that accuracy had been good to excellent but their people had experienced poor bullet performance on deer sized game.

I have been shooting the Power Belts thru my Knight and I do find them to be very easy to load and accurate. However the projectile tends to break up thus it does not retain it’s weight.

They are not in my opinion as good as the Black Belt Bullet that they replaced.

I JUST SWITCHED TO THE POWER BELT THIS SPRING TO SEE IF WILL DO WHAT I WANT. 245 GN HOLLOW POINT IN FRONT OF 150 GN OF 777 AND I'M SHOOTING 2.5 INCH GROUPS AT 100 YARDS. SO ACCURACY I'M HAPPY WITH SO FAR, BUT I HAVE NOT SHOT ANY DEER WITH THEM YET. THE THING I LIKE BEST ABOUT THEM IS THEY ARE REALLY EASY TO PUSH DOWN THE BARREL. I HAVE HOWEVER KILLED DEER WITH THE 250 GN CABELAS XTENDED RANGE SABOT AND I LIKE THAT BULLET. IT'S ACCURACY IS AS GOOD AS OR BETTER THAN THE POWER BELT AND UNTIL THIS LAST SEASON EVERY DEER I SHOT WITH THEM WENT DROPPED IN THIER TRACKS.

Top Bottom