Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

thunderhead groupings

Easton

PMA Member
question about thunderhead groupings. i shoot a hoyt magnatech, mech release, carbons, 100 grain tips. with the field tips, i am dead on. i shot my new thunderhead broadheads tonight (at 18 yards) and they consistantly hit about 8 inches left. you can almost see the arrow path curve about 1/2 way to the target. the nap website says to move the arrow rest to the right until the field tip & broadhead groupings are the same. it seems that if i move the rest both groupings will move the same. obviously i can move the pins to the spot where the arrows are hitting but i wondered if anyone had any other solutions.

sound like some bow tuning problems to me bud. find a pro shop and see if your knocking point is where it should be and also if your rest is properly aligned. i've never had broadheads shoot that far off of field tips.

I'd say follow the instructions with moving the rest left or right. Simple tuning problem that should be fixed with windage adjustment. Also, make sure your broadheads spine true in relation to the shaft. If your broadheads are hitting higher or lower than the field tips, then you should move the nocking point.
bhead_tuning_chart.gif

Easton,
How many pounds are you shooting and what arrows are you shooting including length? May be a arrow spine problem as well. My guess is that you should move the rest but it could be a combination of both.

limb, i am pulling 60#. the arrows are cabela's "carbon hunter" & and are 28.50" long. i have spun all 3 of my broadhead arrows and they don't appear to have any wobble. the arrows were pretty inexpensive, would that be part of the problem?

If you have spun them I wouldn't worry about it and if they are all hitting in the same group your spine is probably alright. I am going to concur with the others and say that the rest probably needs moved. Move it a little at a time until the field points and the broadheads group together. Also I am wondering if you are getting contact with the rest, what kind of rest are you shooting from...drop away or shoot through? vanes or feathers?

it is the standard 2 prong shoot thru rest that came on the bow. i have since put teflon covers on the prongs. the arrows have vanes. i've checked the nock vs vanes to make sure the bottom vane is centered in the rest and it appears to be on all 3 arrows. this weekend i am going to slighly adjust my rest back to the right and see if i can match up both groupings. thanks guys!

Sounds good, double check to make sure you are getting vane clearence. They are more critical than feathers. I would imagine you will be in good shape after this weekend! Good Luck!
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom