Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tips for Magnus Bullheads

sureshot

The Hunt Never Ends....
I'm trying the Magnus Bullheads this year, and decided to see how they would fly last weekend. I shot them at 15 yards, and i'd say 8/10 times they would fly spot on, but the other two times they would fly off to the right or left, high or low (no set direction).

Is there are a good way to make these fly better? I don't have helical fletching (would this make them fly more consistent)? It was windy the day I shot them so i'm not sure if the wind would catch the blades?

For the most part, they fly good, but I want them to hit where I aim everytime. I've seen videos on Youtube where people are shooting bottles at 40 yards with the bullheads. I must be doing something wrong.... You're help would be appreciated!

what size fletchings are you using and what size do they have on these videos?

when i shot guillotines i had to shoot 5 inch fletchings to get them to shoot worth a crap.

This is straight off their website...

Make sure your arrow is long enough to clear your hand in front of the riser. Your
arrow needs to be the correct spine when lengthening it. On fletching size it is dependent on the level of tune and the shooters ability, but with the 100 grain you can get away with a lot less of fletching such as blazers or 4 inch feathers or vanes, if you use small blazers we would recommend a 4-fletch.

We would recommend using 5 inch vanes or feathers. Typically most guys are shooting 27 to 29 inch length. Most the time going to a 30 inch arrow, you need to have a 300 spine if your shooting a bow weight of 60 lb plus. Where I am shooting 50 to 60 I would recommend a 340 to 350 spine.

When going to tune up for the Bullhead broadhead, first tune with a regular broadhead of the same grain weight as the Bullhead. Tune to get your regular broadhead and field tips shooting together and at same point of impact, then screw on a Bullhead and check it for point of impact. 9 times out of 10 the Bullhead will fly with your regular broadhead, plus by doing this, while your tuning you won’t destroy your broadhead target because of the large blades of the Bullhead. This will work for both the 100 grain and 125 grain Bullhead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Limb Chicken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is straight off their website...

it is dependent on the level of tune and the <u>shooters ability</u>, </div></div>

That's my bet /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif

Ya Id hate to say it but if your bow is in tune and your on 8 of 10 then theres no reason they all shouldnt be on. So unless its the same 1 or 2 arrows not flying true its gotta be you, Id guess just the wind blowin you around

You could try spinning the arrows with the heads on to see if youve got good alingment thats the only thing I can think of besides having the correct spine and having enough fletch to stabilize the shaft

You guys are prolly right! I suck /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

Thanks for some of the tips though, i'll give a few of them a try! Maybe I just need to start practicing more!

Not trying to bust your balls but shooting in the wind is tough, its real easy to pull one or two out of ten shots. But I know some guys that shoot fixed blade heads and if they have any fliers its normally a junk arrow or once they spin them the head isnt aligned with the shaft and that can make a big difference. There are a lot of variables but Id try numbering your arrows to make sure you dont have a bad shaft, check the tune of the bow/spine of your arrow and if you can spin the hole arrow and head give it a whirl, that or just wait for a calm day and try again ;). Did you look over the heads good to make sure nothing is bent ?

Or like Muddy said maybe try longer fletching, when I shot the guillutines I just went to CIA and bought 3 full length CX400 shafts and through some 5in helical feathers on them and they shot good went with the 400shaft for extra spine, usually only shot 300's

Sureshot, better make sure your shooting straight for the contest /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I can already hear your excuse now. Well at least I am shooting a Bullhead as well, great minds think alike. If we go down, were going together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rutnstrut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Or like Muddy said maybe try longer fletching, when I shot the guillutines I just went to CIA and bought 3 full length CX400 shafts and through some 5in helical feathers on them and they shot good went with the 400shaft for extra spine, usually only shot 300's </div></div>

I did forget to add that I did shoot full length arrows with my guillotines as well. Remember the arrows sold by Aerodynamic Solutions to go specifically with the Guillotines were full length and had even bigger fletchings than 5 inches, I think they were closer to 7.

here is what we suggest for the bullheads, also please email [email protected] if you need any help. thanks

TUNING A BULLHEAD IS SIMPLE FOLLOW THESE SIMPLE STEPS.

Make sure your arrow is long enough to clear your hand in front of the riser. Your arrow needs to be the correct spine when lengthening it. On fletching size it isdependent on the lever of tune and the shooters ability, but with the 100 grain you can get away with a lot less of fletching such as blazers or 4 inch feathers or vanes, if you use small blazers we would recommend a 4 fletch.

We would recommend using 5 inch vanes or feathers. Typically most guys are shooting 27 to 29 inch length. Most the time going to a 30 inch arrow, you need to have a 300 spine if your shooting a bow weight of 60 lb plus. Where I am shooting 50 to 60 I would recommend a 340 to 350 spine.

When going to tune up for the bullhead, Broadhead tune with a regular Broadhead of the same grain weight as the bullhead. Tune to get your regular Broadhead and field tips shooting together and at same point of impact, than screw on a bullhead and check it for point of impact. 9 times out of 10 the bullhead will fly with your regular Broadhead, plus by doing this, while your tuning you wont destroy your Broadhead target because of the large blades of the bullhead, this will work for both the 100 grain and 125 grain bullhead. VERY IMPORTANT-PLEASE ALSO CHECK THE STRAIGHTNESS OF YOUR ARROWS. Check tightness of screws after shooting bullheads, we check them every shot but you can go multiple times and check.

We recommend the mckenzie block target for shooting the bullhead into for durability, also a old pillow works great too.

Top Bottom