Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Too late to plant???

Not enough hours in the day and I'm probably not going to have time to plant my clover until Sept. 1st. I know it should be planted in mid August but what can I do. Will the clover still do fine?
STEVE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steveolson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not enough hours in the day and I'm probably not going to have time to plant my clover until Sept. 1st. I know it should be planted in mid August but what can I do. Will the clover still do fine?
STEVE </div></div>

In southern Iowa you may get away with it... northern part is would be pretty iffy.

Every year is different...your hoping for 8 weeks before a killing frost and that could be in early October or mid Nov.

Hopefully your will get enough growth to become established before cold weather...and we get some snow cover to help protect it thru the winter. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I'd just throw some rye in it for now and then just frost seed your clover later. Then you would have a good winter plot too. It's worked well for me.

On the same note, I was planning on doing a small plot about 2-3 weeks from now with oats/rye/clover. Should I just leave out the clover and frost seed it all or go ahead and add clover anyway? Or...should I do the plot right now? I was concerned about all the talk of planting the rye/oats too early, causing the deer to favor it less during prime hunting this fall.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ajadams</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd just throw some rye in it for now and then just frost seed your clover later. Then you would have a good winter plot too. It's worked well for me. </div></div>

I agree with AJA but if you only have an acre or so then 4#'s of Alice clover is less then 20 bucks...so I would seed this fall and frost seed next winter if we get an early cold spell.

I usually add clover to my fall cereal grains for plowdowns but I have had better luck frost seeding later then the late planted clover surviving...if that helps any. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Yeah, thanks guys. I see the point of trying it with a small plot, not much to lose and maybe something to gain. I'll throw some in now, then hit it again like AJ said later.

Top Bottom