Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tracking Deer???

nalbrecht

My dad shot a buck on sunday night with his ML. Deciding it was to late to trail on his own he waited until monday morning to pick up the trail. There was good blood the night before and then a rain moved in late and washed a lot of sign away. He searched for hours to find the deer with no luck. Where would the buck have went and how far might he have traveled. The shot was good and worse case possibly a little far back. What to do now?

There is some good info on the sight as far as tracking. You might wanna do a search but to sum it up a little.

Wounded deer head for cover or water. Look for an easy route of travel from where the deer was when it was shot. With one or two guys just start zig-zagging or better circles. If you can a couple more guys find a aerial(quite a few suggestion on the site on that also) and do a grid search.

I shot a doe last year(muzzleloader) and never found any blood. She traveled about 300yds, where the farmer found her with a tractor in the field. I have seen a heart shot doe(30-06) run 200yds.

Good luck, use some persistence and your dad should prevail.

Top Bottom