Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tractor for food plots?

TallTines

I am looking into getting a small tractor so i can put food plots in as well as mow with it.

I don't think I will be tilling up more than 5 acres a yr but i will be mowing alot more than that.

What would you guys suggest for a small tractor and accessories for tilling and mowing. i am not looking into spending a ton of money on this so keep that in mind w/ suggestions. Also tell me how much to expect to pay with what you suggest.

I've got some ideas on what to get but I want to hear your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

TT

I'll take a stab at this...

The tractor has the biggest range of dollars. 1960-1970 will run 2-10K Green is the highest by far. I keep an eye out for AC D models. A D14 is bringing 2000-3500 and D17s are running 2500-5000 depending on the series and condition. I think either the D14, D15 or D17 would fit your requirements. If you go newer, the sky is the limit. The new compact NH 4x4s run in the 20-30K range.

You’re going to need a sprayer, tillage device and a broadcast spreader minimum.

I built my sprayer, it's a 60 gallon electric and will cover 6 to 12 foot. I bet I have $300 in it total. You can buy one for an atv for a similar price, but it is going to be about 20-30 gallons, still do-able...

For a broadcaster, you can go three point or an over the shoulder hand crank depending on how ambitious or frugal you are. A new 3pt will run 350-400, a hand crank $25. If you’re planting clover or alfalfa, it could be done with the hand crank, but corn and beans with fert would suck every year...

For tillage, if it is rock and root free, a 3pt tiller is the cats a$$. One pass and your ready for seed. A KK 6' will run 1200-1400. If you have rocks and what not, a KK 7' disc is about 800-1k new.

Nice extras are old planters or grain drills. Large lawn rollers or cultipacs. I see old JD Van Brunt drills popping up at farm auctions, if they have the small seed box on the front, they will plant anything... Clover to corn... I found mine for 475 a few years ago. Parts and manuals are still available.

As far as mowers go, I'm in the market myself, need one before this spring. I've looked at the KK but don't know about the quality, may be someone will chime in. I have also priced 6' Bush Hogs that run 1700ish. I have a Bush Hog lawn mower and it's built like a tank. I have actually mowed standing corn with it no problem.

Alot of these items can be found in the classifieds for better than 1/2 of new. Let us know what you accumulate, it's great fun!

Always a balance of cash vs time. Can you fix things and have the time to do it or spend the cash for something more reliable and newer.

AC D-17 is a great tractor. MF also builds/built a bullet-proof series of utility tractors 40-65hp. Older IH utilities were a bit beefier than the Ford Ns but then I'd love to have a nickel for every acre the Fords have planted. A Ford 5000 is a super plot tractor with a bit more HP. Check out the Hawkeye Trader or the weekly ad sheets and look at asking prices for a while- you'll spot deals after a while. Auctions are also pretty good but all the acreage owners have really driven up the 40-60hp market.

All I can sugest is if you buy an old tractor stay away from a narrow front end. Especcialy if you are gonna run a loader. The other piece of advice is make sure the three point has "draught" (draft) control or you'll end up with mess. By that I mean be sure the three point has a system to sense when there is up or down pressure applied to the implement by the movement of the tractor. If the front end of the tractor goes over a small rise it puts down pressure on the implement, or pushes the implement further into the soil and when the back wheels go over the same rise it puts up pressure on the implement, or raises it out of the soil. It makes for a very uneven seed bed.

Good luck.

The 'Bonker

No such thing as a "bad tractor" if it's in decent shape and you can afford it. You can always "trade up" later but let me warn you....life will never be the same once you have your very own...

tractor!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Check out auctions this winter and spring, sometimes you can find a deal...sometimes not. Listen to em run and check around for local dealers where you can get parts without running half way across the state. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Check out this past thread to see what everyone else is "putt putting" around on... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

She thinks my tractor's sexy!

JDGreen.jpg

I'd pick a 4230 JD diesel. You can pick one up for 8 to 12 thousand. They wont loose their price either. Get a wide front and make sure the tires are good. Anymore a set of rear tires can get in your pocket. Its just a good size and for the price they are hard to beat. Cabs and air are nice /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I am going to start searching here real soon.

I'd love to start off w/ something green but I think it's a little out of my range right now.

Thanks again,

TT

Not really local but you might watch the photo ads- upper left corner of the page on http://www.ytmag.com if nothing else you will see asking prices from around the country. I bought one off that board that was a seriously underpriced and turned it over at a profit. Of course, now I don't have a green tractor anymore...

Top Bottom