Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tractor v. ATV

Daver

PMA Member
I hope to get either an ATV or modest utility tractor in the next few months. My primary purposes would be to mow and plant food plots. I will probably maintain a max of 5-6 acres of foodplots and mow paths here and there in the CRP, nothing super heavy duty.

I can't decide which direction I should go. I have heard that a mower towed behind an ATV will lead to transmission issues with the ATV. But my son would probably get some enjoyment out of riding an ATV v. a tractor. (I do have a local farmer that will disc areas up for me and even drill/plant some things too.)

What are the pros and cons from those in the know?

Easy, get both.
grin.gif

Both have good points. Very few farms don't have an ATV or UTV anymore but other than for fixing fence or spot spraying they are really used in "farming". Tractor will be much easier to find affordable implements but is not going to something you want to haul around for kicks although an ATV, atv mower, disk, sprayer, etc is not a collection going to be moved around without a fair sized trailer either.
Most ATVs with enough nuts to really foodplot with are going to be rated for kids 16 years old or so (doesn't stop my 12 year old, but...)

Daver,
I've had both. I used a Suzuki 500 Quadrunner for awhile, and presently use a New Holland TC35 compact utility. At the end of the day the ATV was great, but the implements made for the ATV weren't heavy enough and did not perform adequately. The implements for the ATV have to operate off its own gas motor and frequently needed refilled, etc. The tractor with a cat 1 3 pt. hitch, brush hog, spreader, tiller, mower, etc works great and obviously works off the tractors power. The tractor and implements far out performed the ATV. My .02.

Well...you know I have a "thing" for tractors" so my thoughts are kind of biased
grin.gif

I do know that a big ATV can cost as much as a used tractor and ATV equipment is way more expensive then used implements.

Besides...kids can have fun on tractors too!
cool.gif

FarmininJuly.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Daver,
I've had both. I used a Suzuki 500 Quadrunner for awhile, and presently use a New Holland TC35 compact utility. At the end of the day the ATV was great, but the implements made for the ATV weren't heavy enough and did not perform adequately. The implements for the ATV have to operate off its own gas motor and frequently needed refilled, etc. The tractor with a cat 1 3 pt. hitch, brush hog, spreader, tiller, mower, etc works great and obviously works off the tractors power. The tractor and implements far out performed the ATV. My .02.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.

Most of you are familliar with my tractor and ATV history. If you are looking at food plots and working in the dirt: tractor, if you are looing for a way to get throught the woods: ATV.

If I was younger and still had kids at home I'd opt for the tractor and an inexpensive ATV, not that I could have afforded it. You run the tractor and let the youngster pull a cultipacker or drag behind you with the ATV. Makes them feel like thay are helping, because they are.

Muddy said it first, buy both.

The 'Bonker

I bought a used Honda 500cc Rubicon 4x4 four wheeler with snow blade for$3500. I also bought a 56 hp 1968 Allis Chalmers D-17 tractor for around $1500. Used mower and disk for tractor, $200. I have less invested than most guys do in a new 4-wheeler and I can say they BOTH get used ALOT! I would be lost without either one.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I also bought a 56 hp 1968 Allis Chalmers D-17 tractor for around $1500.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dang that's a good old tractor right there Skully!
waytogo.gif

Man Skully, forget my original question... I just need to enlist your help in finding some deals like that and I can have both!!

I am by no means well versed in all things tractor... but that seems like a great deal. Was there some sort of special circumstance? If not, could you point me in the right direction, I could maybe swing both at those prices.

[ QUOTE ]
I could maybe swing both at those prices.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just need to keep your eyes open, watch the papers and take a swing thru the implement dealers every once in awhile.

I think the best deals are often setting out by the road with a FSBO sign...but sometimes a dealer may have something in the back lot that has gone unnoticed.

Commission is a hair less on a $2000 tractor vs a $200,000 one
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

She takes a licking and keeps on ticking! I lucked into her when one of my cousin's buddies decided to sell some of the things he got left to him in his fathers estate. His dad farmed 160 acres with two of these old D-17's One narrow front and one wide front. Lucky for me he wanted to sell the wide front. She has pulled alot of logs and stumps while building our pond. No power steering and no air conditioning but every time I get in that seat and fire her up I smile. Second hand implements are a dime a dozen. I gave $100 for a 10 foot disk! Try buying a little one for a quad and you'll spend 5 times that! I bought the Honda from a Yamaha dealer "usually get better deals that way", it was a trade in. Watch the papers and you'll be amazed what kind of deals are out there. Good luck!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No power steering and no air conditioning but every time I get in that seat and fire her up I smile.

[/ QUOTE ]

ATV's are cool but nothing like chuggin around on the tractor!
waytogo.gif

Just like everybody else said, get BOTH! My ATV gets alot of use and has planted a few 1/4 acre plots. But I soon found out that even a tiny tractor with turf tires is about 1,000 times better than an ATV when it comes to dragging anything in the dirt. You could do 5 acres of plots with an ATV, but I wouldnt want to buy it from you when you were done. They are great for spraying though, and I used one for mowing for 3 years with zero problems. Even with 4wd, an ATV is simply not adequate for pulling tillage implements.
Also, my little 28hp tractor with rear blade, 5' rotary mower, and 5' tiller cost about the same as my 400cc ATV with no implements. If I could only afford one I'd get the tractor, no question.

Top Bottom