Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree planting question

Waukon1

This spring I am going to be planting some trees from the DNR for habitat. The area is pastured and my question is: Does anyone know a cheap or easy way to protect the trees from the cattle. I was thinking about chicken wire or terrace tile, but thought that may be time consuming with the about of trees to be planted. Are there any other options? Thank's.

Wish I could help. The easy way would be to pasture the cattle elsewhere- seriously though, I don't think there is a good way to keep cattle off new trees. I'll be as interested in the responses of others as well.

Cattle and trees are a poor mix. To have much of a chance of long term success I think you will need to fence off part of the pasture or at least an area around the trees. Cattle like to rub on posts, especially outside corners, so you will need a 'real' fence.

Soil compaction by livestock is also a problem for new or existing trees. You didn't mention what kind (determines the final size) you are planting but to protect the roots you should be at least 10 feet past the ultimate drip line. On a mature, full sized tree that will be quite a large area.

Tree planting is a rewarding activity. I've planted thousands. Periodically I go back and check on trees I've planted, some over 30 years ago. It is amazing to look at them while remembering how small they were as a seedling. Being an optimist I fully intend to see the trees I planted last year when they are 30 years old. In fact with a little (or a lot) of luck I'd like to bowhunt out of last years planting, 30 years from now (like I said, I'm an optimist.

So plan ahead, plant, sit back and enjoy!
Old Buck

(PS Does anyone know any bowhunters who are 86 or older or will I be the first?)

Maybe you could plant them in small groupings or clusters and put in steel fence posts and woven wire in a rectangle around them. Livestock are just too hard on trees, no real easy solution.

Top Bottom