Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trout Stocking in Iowa

blake

Life Member
Trout Heading to Lakes Across Iowa

The Iowa Department of Natural Resources will be stocking trout in urban areas across Iowa in January, beginning Jan. 8 when 1,800 trout are released in North Prairie Lake, in Cedar Falls, and 1,600 are released in Bacon Creek Lake in Sioux City.

On Jan. 15, 900 trout will be stocked in West Lake in Big Lake Park at Council Bluffs, and 1,800 in Heritage Pond, in Dubuque. On Jan. 22, 1,400 trout will be stocked in Scharnberg Pond near Spencer and on Jan. 29, 1,400 trout will be stocked in Blue Pit, in Mason City.

All stockings are based on favorable weather conditions.

Anglers who want to fish for the trout are required to pay the trout fee in addition to an Iowa fishing license. The 2010 Iowa fishing licenses and stamps expire on Jan. 10.

The daily bag limit for trout is five and the possession limit is 10.

Kids under 16 may fish without a trout fee, as long as each is supervised by a properly licensed adult who has paid the trout fee. Their combined catch, however, cannot exceed a single daily limit. Those younger anglers may also pay their own trout fee and fish for their own daily limit.

I'm curious if all the money the DNR invests into raising and stocking Trout in Iowa is covered by the dollars generated from Trout Stamps purchased? I doubt that Iowa is high on the list of tourists wanting to fish for trout. I've always thought this program was a waste of money.. Just my opinion though..

I know what I'm doing with my hour lunch on Friday :way: and hope to be eating fresh grilled trout for supper. I think fresh trout will get rid of the aftertaste of tag-soup I dined on the other night :grin:

I'm curious if all the money the DNR invests into raising and stocking Trout in Iowa is covered by the dollars generated from Trout Stamps purchased? I doubt that Iowa is high on the list of tourists wanting to fish for trout. I've always thought this program was a waste of money.. Just my opinion though..

They sell a ton of trout stamps to guys like me that are not willing to travel to eastern Iowa to fish for a "wild" trout. You're right about tourists not wanting to come to Iowa to fish for trout. It's about the IDNR giving anglers & kids the opportunity to fish for trout w/ out going a spendy vacation....& to recover some $ spent on raising the trout.

Buddy and I caught 4 nice rainbows today, and we each missed 4 we should have caught. Had a blast! Tasted awesome in the skillet tonight!!

Some from Bacon Creek in Sioux City today.

3869-101_7032.1.jpg

Top Bottom