Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turnip and Rape mix

BOWSTRING

I bought the above mentioned seed and planned on making two different plots but ran out of time so I mixed them together and planted them last weekend.
I cleared about a 15 yards squared and mad a trail up by my stand that about 35 yards away with Tecomate bucks and bosses planted around it.
This is in the middle of some really thick timber.
Just wanted everyone opinion on the mix and if it was a good idea. Also was it a little late I read the other post on latest to plant turnips. I'm in central Iowa.

Thanks,

It may be too shady but I believe this mix has clover and birds foot trefoil(sp?) that does well in shade it seem. Does it have chicory which if so will give you a couple perennials. However...I HAD NO CLUE DEER LIKED BFTF??? Anxious to see DBLTREE take. In any case, hopefully it grows well in the shade and I think you learn the most by trial and error..I know I do!

Part of it will get sun in the morning and some parts will get sun in the afternoon. It is only turnip and rape nothing else.
Would throwing a perennial in the mix have been better?
My first 2 plots I did went allot better than I figured so if this one fails it won't hurt to much being these are the first ones I've put in and it take allot of work getting an area cleared enough to get the 4 wheeler in and try to get sun to it. Would rather it grows though so any advise is very welcome.

I don't think so at this point but you can frost seed in the winter and possibly have some clover growth in the spring. The brassicas may not fully mature but if its in then it will be a great experience. Try to get some rye or oats and add it to the plot, even broadcasting before a rain will work but make sure its before. I did so last year on Sept 10th and shot a couple does over my "hand seeding" in October. Let me know how it turns out!

Went to Welters web site. Any specific type of oats that would work best? Rye seems a little pricey for me plus I don't need 50 lbs.

I buy cover crop oats but then again the others may be just as good. The thing that is interesting is that planting rates are about the same for both rye and oats at 60# per acre, in fact, oats can be higher! BUT..I believe oats are about 32 lbs per bushel. So you would have to buy 2 bushels per acre if my math is right. I know that I like having something I know will be there for the season as I hunt later more than in October. Oats will not be as strong a draw once the cold comes but let us know what you decide to do.

More questions?
What's the differnce in rye. I found some that was $11 a bushel for fall rye grain. Then some that's $50-$100 for 50lbs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowstring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">More questions?
What's the differnce in rye. I found some that was $11 a bushel for fall rye grain. Then some that's $50-$100 for 50lbs. </div></div>

Field rye (winter rye grain, fall rye grain) normally runs $10-15 a 50# bag...the expensive seed is ryegrass you DON'T want that!!!

Fall rye grain is cereal grain like winter wheat and oats...that's the seed you want for fall plantings!

Rape and turnips are both brassicas and make up virtually every brassica seed mix you can find. The go together like PB n Jelly! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Check thru the brassica thread and you'll see that planting dates of late July to mid August works best. Later dates will yield some growth but you'll miss out on maximum growth potential.

Brassicas grow in some shade if they have plenty of moisture but most things planted in shade will not thrive as if they had full sun.

Adding some rye will most likely get you some attraction if it has enough sun... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Well I planted rye on sunday. It's the only time I had this weekend so I had to go with it plus my boy was with me so I didn't have to do much besides supervise. The Rape and Turnips are coming up good.( I hope that's what's coming up) I was suprised how fast they popped up in 4 days you could see them.
Now I praying for rain thought it was suppose to rain today but hasn't happened yet.
I wanted to get some pictures but like usual I forgot the camera.

Top Bottom