Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turnips in the corn

ironwood

These images are of purletop turnips that where broadcast into heavily browsed corn mid August. I was a little heavy on the seeding and the result was small root mass. This practise is so cheap and so easy that I am sure I'll continue doing it. The lower photo is Bonar Rape.

54710-09-06_315.jpg
54710-09-06_316.jpg
54710-09-06_317.jpg
54710-09-06_314.jpg

I don't own the land I hunt and can't put in plots like I want so I think seeding annuals into the fields of crops may be my focus. I like the looks of your results! I just did rye this year but will be using rape next year. DId you do anything to the soil? Just broadcast?

I just walked the rows with a little yard spreader where the corn was low. I think I could have done well in the taller corn as well. By mid to late August some of the canopy is coming out as the corn drys. With annuals planted this late it should never cause any issue for your farmer. I think I'll try this in the beans next year.

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'll try this in the beans next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! That turned out great!
cool.gif
I overseeded them in RR soybeans knowing they would be havested but I wanted to see how the would do. Did great until they sprayed the beans again because of all the rain in August
crazy.gif

I'd say we ALL got a little lucky to have so much rain in late summer. Other years our results may not have been so good.

Any idea what herbicide was used on the corn? Sure didn't seem to bother the brassicas at any rate!
waytogo.gif

Holy Buffet-turnips have always perfomed very well for me especially after the big freeze.Just one question "Bonar Rape"-I may be nieve but is this something I need to beware of.
shocked.gif

The rye I put out when the beans were just barely starting to yellow,most were still green and I have a really nice stand. I worried since the beans were drilled and not letting much light in but seem to have worked out OK. Just waiting for deer to start eating it. Most corn still standing around here.

wow, that really did turn out well!
Now I'm wishing I would have done that with the rye seed I have going to waste in the garage.
blush.gif

Welterseed

They delivered in less that 24 hours to my door. I intend on using a local guy next year or at least seeing how competitve he is. I'll get his contact info and post it.

[ QUOTE ]
Holy Buffet-turnips have always perfomed very well for me especially after the big freeze.Just one question "Bonar Rape"-I may be nieve but is this something I need to beware of.
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You won't believe it but I have heard this reaction before.
grin.gif

And I've been accused of having a mind in the gutter...
If I were you- I'd make sure I put my wife's stand right there.
cool.gif

Ironwood,

[ QUOTE ]
With annuals planted this late it should never cause any issue for your farmer.

[/ QUOTE ]
After the farmer picks the corn will it destroy the turnips and rape. The farmer where I am at normally has his picked by mid to late Sept.
Thanks for your reply.

This is a very interesting thread. If I can just broadcast seed in the beans or corn this will make my life way easier.

So is there a verdict on how this works in the beans?

I would like to try this in some spots this year and see how it goes.

Mid august seems to be the time to do it right?

I have done this in corn with little or no brows or high canopy and had much less sucess. If the beans have a tight canopy I would thinks your resulting rape or turnip grouth would suffer.

I threw some rye out in my dads beans last year and it did come up. We got some rain and it but him back a couple weeks picking it, but if he would have picked the beans when he wanted to I'm sure I would have got a good winter stand. The rye only ended up being a few inches tall by bow season but was a foot tall for the turkeys in the spring. At about 13.00 for 50# your not out much for trying. I'll probably throw some out this year again and hope the weather cooperates more.

Top Bottom