Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turtle Poaching

blake

Life Member
hoofline.gif

From the Iowa DNR:

Two Southeast Iowa Men Charged with Turtle Poaching

BURLINGTON - Two southeast Iowa men were charged Monday for alleged illegal turtle trapping activity after a concerned citizen called the Turn In Poachers hotline.

Using information from the TIP call, conservation officers staked out the traps on July 9, and watched the individuals run nine illegally set turtle traps in the Tama Bottoms, north of Burlington.

Mike Kerr, 36, of Mount Pleasant, and Jack Schafer, 38, of Fairfield, were each charged with four counts of illegal method of take of turtle, four counts of failure to have a commercial gear tags attached to the net and one count of illegal taking/possessing of a turtle. The fines totaled $2,299. Conservation officers seized nine traps.

Kerr and Schafer are scheduled to appear in court on Aug. 12.

hoofline.gif

TURN IN POACHERS!
tiplogo.gif

TIP

hoofline.gif

This is from Fairfield Iowa radio.com

Fairfield Man Arrested For Turtle Poaching

Two southeast Iowa men, including a Fairfield resident, have been charged with turtle poaching. Authorities got a tip on the state's ‘Turn in Poachers’ hotline, so conservation officers staged a stakeout in the Tama Bottoms area north of Burlington on July 9.

Iowa Department of Natural Resources officials say that 38-year-old Fairfield native Jack Schafer along with Mike Kerr, 36, of Mount Pleasant didn’t have the proper commercial licenses to trap turtles, which is legal to do in the state of Iowa. The two men also face a series of charges ranging from using an illegal method to ‘take’ turtles to illegal possession of a turtle.

Iowa Department of Natural Resources Conservation Officer Joe Fourdyce says the illegal traps were set in an area near the Mississippi River. “The reason the traps were illegal is because they didn’t have the require escape hole and they weren’t tagged in any way with a commercial tag or a nametag,” Fourdyce says.

Schafer and Kerr face almost $2,300 in fines. Fourdyce says there’s been an increase in the number of Iowans who're asking for licenses so they can trap legally turtles.

“It's fairly lucrative. You can make some pretty good money off of it,” Fourdyce says. “I think female snapping turtles and soft-shell turtles bring about $1.50 a pound and the males will bring about $1 a pound.”

The average turtle weighs about nine pounds. Fourdyce saw the two men check nine traps and round up 30 turtles at an estimated value of at least $270.

The turtles aren't sold for their meat.

“They go to a breeder who breeds them out,” Fourdyce says. “The eggs will be put in an incubator and hatched and then the small turtles get sent over to China.”

Kerr and Schafer are to appear in court on August 12.

These same two dingle nuts got busted last fall shooting the DNR decoy. They are about the biggest poachers around. Jack likes to take clients to places that he doesnt have permission. But his all time favorite is to shoot them with the -06 out the window of his truck. I belive Skully knows about him all to well. He shot a giant of a buck of the farm skully was bowhunting. That buck scored somewhere around 228. These guys are real piece of $&^9's. Skully can fill you in on some details as I believe he watched it go down from his stand. Its good to see the DNR put the heat on these guys. If you dont belive me look up their names On Iowacourts.com They cant do any thing by the book. They cheat on everything. Just my @ cents.

Top Bottom