Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Twisted line on a spinning reel

iowabucks

I have an ultralight rod and reel combo that i love to use but the line, (no matter how new it is), always gets twisted so bad. It looks like line that has been left on the spool for years. The reel is a Quantum Micro, which i ususally string up with 4 or 6 lb test. I have been using the cheaper Trilene XT line. Maybe thats my problem.

I have heard many ways to fill the spool,
1. i have used the spool holder that mounts on the rod
2. throw the spool in the water and reel it in
3. i know the string has to go on the reel spool in the same direction it comes off the line spool.

I don't fill the spool all the way either, but it still comes off reel and tangles into a knot.

What kind of line out there would be best to use to get away from this problem? Or are there other types of line better suited to the spinning reel?

Some reels are jut plain bad because of the way they are designed. The only thing you can do is make sure you put the line on right. The best way to do it is to lay the spool on the floor and reel a few passes, then drop your rod tip down to the spool and see if it twists. If not, you have the spool right side up, if you get quite a bit of twisting, turn the spool over. Check it again every so often and you should be okay.

CHeck with various lines too. SOme lines are stiffer and tend to spring off the reel. Trilene XL is one of the better ones because it is fairly limp. Trilene XT is made to be tougher and has an abrasion resistance which makes it stiffer. (XT=extra tough, XL=extra limp) But like I said, some reels are badly desinged and there's not much you can do because the bail actually rolls the line over as it reels it in. If this is the case with your reel throw it away and go get a different one.

Not sure what kind of fishing you are doing with that set up but if braided line is an option, try it. I used Mono ever since i can remember. Just last year i switched to Powerpro. Its the best line i've ever used. It has ZERO memory. I use 80 pound Powerpro for my catfishing set-ups. The diameter of it is about the same as 8 pound mono. It doesn't fray like most braided lines.When you go to set the hook on the fish it doesnt stretch like mono does. Ive had 2 of my poles rigged up with the same Powerpro for 2 years and havent had a problem yet. You can pick it up at most wal-marts. The only thing you have to do different is, when you tie the string to the reel put a piece of electrical tape around the string and then fill your reel up with string. Reason is, if you dont put that tape on there, when you go to set the hook on a big ol fish the line on the reel just spins because it doesnt get good grip on the reel . The tape fixes that problem.

The # 1 thing that always twists line on a spinning reel is - reeling while a fish is slipping the drag & pulling line - or reeling when you are snagged w/ tight line.

Not to say this is what is happening in your instance. But that's what I've seen & experienced.

I'll second the comment about braided (or fused) line. I use Fireline on my jigging rods. You can either tape the line to the reel or use a few passes of Mono backing. I just leave some mono on the reel and tie the fireline to it with a blood knot.

Takes a while to get used to these lines but the no-stretch and the extra sensitivity is really nice for jigging or rigging. I even use it for slip bobber fishing in places that are snag prone, like flooded timber, because you can usually pull on it hard enough to straighten out your hook and get the whole rig back instead of losing everything to a snag.

I love my braided lines. I would recomned spiderwire ultra-cast or stealth. Both great lines IMO.

while i like braids and have several rigs spooled up with them, i also like mono for small fish fishing, such as ultra lite set ups. but how to remede the twist issue, the reel might be most of the problem, but several other factors will increase twist. if you are making short rainbow type casts and having to reel in lots of slack line, the loose line will not tightly re-pack back on to the reel, so making sure you make direct cast rather than rainbow types might help (if that is even an issue, not saying that is whay you are doing, but i know that compounds the problem)

also if your reel is over spooled, or too full of line many times that results in twists and tangles.

certian types of baits will increase twisting, maybe consider using a swivel for certian types of lures. i personally dont like swivels as they take action out of the bait, but i have not had a significant twist problem either.

if your line is really bad, next time you are out on the lake, take the lure off the line, and "troll" the empty line behind the boat till it is almost completely off the spool, then close the bail and keep moving with it for a few minutes (in a straight line!) then shut the boat off, and reel in the excess line. this process will take the twist out, but high memory line will possibly retwist again.

as mentioned, trying a braid is a really good call, low streth and low memory, but like they said, make sure you secure the line to the spool of th reel to reduce slipping. i use about 10 15 turns of mono as backing, i know the tape thing works, but i feel better knowing i have a little more insurance.

Hope that helps
good luck!!!!

I was just in the store earlier and i went and looked at the lightest powerpro they had. Its 10 pound test. It feels like 2 pound mono and like Iowa1 said, if you get snagged up you can pull on it hard enough that it bends the hook and you will get your rig back. I just bend the hook back and re-use it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowa1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
because you can usually pull on it hard enough to straighten out your hook and get the whole rig back instead of losing everything to a snag.</div></div>

Just make sure you don't wrap it around your hand. Ouch!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bushman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowa1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
because you can usually pull on it hard enough to straighten out your hook and get the whole rig back instead of losing everything to a snag.</div></div>

Just make sure you don't wrap it around your hand. Ouch!!! </div></div>

Did that once with Fireline.............Big time Ouch!!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Top Bottom