Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Venison recipes

Shredder

Life Member
Raven had brought up the health issues in a recent post about venison over beef and got me into the mood to eat more of it. What I am looking for are some great recipes to cook this stuff. I don't want any of the Martha Stuart fluff, just some good ole recipes to add to the collection. The recent cold snap and slow at work is allowing my gut to enlarge and I just want to add more healthy stuff to my caloric intake

Another good topic. I know it was on the board last year, but it's good to bring it back. Here's a traditional favorite way of ours to prepare venison steaks:

Take 6-8 loin steaks and roll them in flour. You could add spices to the flour if you like. Brown them on both sides in a frying pan of butter. When browned, add a little water (or more butter), some onions, baby carrots, etc. We also like to add just a little beef boulion, and then put it into a 350 oven for about 30 minutes. Tender enough to cut with a fork! When combined with a plate full of mashed taters and some baked beans it's a meal straight from heaven! Good grazin'

NWBuck

For simple and easy you can't beat loins win a crock pot with cream of mushroom soup. Just brown the butterflied loins and put them in with a can of soup and just a little water. Cook for 2 or 3 hours. Great with mashed or baked potatoes using the soup for gravy. Make lots because it goes fast.

For meat cuts that you want to grill, try this marinade:

Mix equal amounts of virgin olive oil and soy sauce. Add a little honey and fresh ground pepper. Marinade meat for several hours. Grill to medium rare.

We like to let them sit in milk for 4to5 hours. Then mix oven fry for pork and a little flower and season salt and some bread crumbs. Take the steaks out of the milk roll them in the mix and have the oil nice and hot to make shur the coating sticks. It works a little better if you have a couple brewski's first
wink.gif

I've been reading about the wild game vs domestic livestock health benefits. Venison won't marble like beef but most folks don't cook a good ribeye in butter either. Just remember that all things are good in moderation. I see lots of recipes full of sodium disguised as soy sauce or coatings. If you are one of the people that have high blood pressure affected by sodium this makes a big difference. High blood pressure contributes to at least as many deaths if not more than high cholesterol each year. Okay the public service message is over, eat up!

Hello,

Pharmer makes an excellent point about meats: you change the health-aspect of them depending on how you cook them.
Take an otherwise healthy venison cut, marinade in soy sauce, then fry in butter, and you turn it into a cut laced with overly high Omega-6 fats and high sodium.

That said, though, a piece of beef is laced with Omega-6's from the get go -- even if it's just grilled -- and it doesn't have very many heart-healthy Omega-3's engrained to buffer bad coronary consequences. Venison does. Just a thought on the subject.

That said though -- it is hard to put down venison prepared the way so many describe here! I love the soy sauce/olive oil marinade that John V. describes -- awesom! A steak prepared that way would be at the top of my wish list for a last-of-my-lifetime meal. However, one can substitute low sodium Italian seasoning salad dressing for the soy sauce and still get a mouth watering result. One could, also, just marinade in pure olive oil for a delicate venison flavor and a tender, juicy, piece of meat. Or, perhaps, a simply olive oil and herbs mixture-- such as garlic -- for a more intense flavor. The olive oil is tasty and is great health-wise because it is rich in Omega-3's, unlike corn or vegetable oil. (Extra-virgin olive oil is the healthiest).

The way I like to prepare much of my venison is to cook it very slowly (8-12 hours) in a crock pot. Slow cooking low-fat meat like venision, was done by native peoples and it really produces the most tender meat and preserves the full health aspect of the meat. I just put a little olive oil on the meat, along with herbs like basil, lemon peel and sometimes oregeno as well. I also sometimes add parsley flakes and a little lemon garlic (I add whatever sounds good that we happen to have in the cupboard at the time. Call me Mr. Makedo...) To that I'll put in some water and 2-4 diced garlic cloves, a bunch of cut-up onions, carrots and red potatoes. Let cook all day.

You have a heart healthy meal fit for a king at days end that will invaridably be very tender and full of flavor! I have a hard time setting the fork down with such a meal!

Sorry for all the wind here....guess the winter is getting to be too long or something!

May the good spirit guide you on all your hunts....Raven

Top Bottom