Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

video cameras

B

bckhntr

I have filled my doe and buck tags for the archery season. Looking forward to taking the videocamera out and videotaping this weekend. Anybody had any success with the video camera? Any advice on getting good footage?

The best advice I could give you is whatever camera you have become very knowledgeable with it. Out in the woods is no time to be figuring the darn thing out. I have a Sony Digital 8 that I have been using for the past month and am just now feeling confident with it. Don't use digital zoom and filming short segments so the tape doesn't get boring works for me. The best part is taking what you experience home with you and sharing it with family and friends, I'll never be without my camcorder again. Good luck.
wavey.gif

I use a video camera all of the time. I have one a panasonic Digital Recorder. I love it. Its one of those that allows you to take snapshots and put them on the internet too. So its like a digital camera as well. Even when i am hunting i carry the camera in my backpack. If i feel that they are smelling me, I will then stop hunting and pull the camera out. Its great to get a buck snorting at you when you are filming, i have a picture perfect scene on mine where the deer was in the field and you could see steam come out of his nose. Its pretty inspiring
wink.gif
Good luck with the camera skills

Use manual focus, if you use auto focus the camera may focus on a limb and make the deer fuzzy in the background.

Good Luck and post some pics!

Use one all the time. Be aware that cold, below freezing, is hard on the camera and battery life is almost nill. Have 11 bucks on film this season and 9 right at my feet.

Hunting is hard on the equipment, droped mine about 4 feet two weeks ago and it's still in the shop, like going out without my bow.

Next time your wife asks why you do what you do, just pop in the tape and say "what ever".

Good luck, it's a blast.

I agree with IADroptine, the cold can drain your battery. I just bought a Sony digital camera and have filmed several smaller bucks, and the recovery of the buck I killed in Iowa on Nov 2. Also, the comment on manual focus is right on the money. I have some tree limbs in focus, with out of focus deer in the background.

To try to keep the camera warm, I tuck it inside my down vest which I wear under my camo coat. Between the body heat and down, it has helped some. One more little hint, take an extra tape along.

The video camera has added a whole new aspect to my bow season. Every time I come home, my wife and kids ask "what did you see?" and we watch it on TV. When they get a little older, hopefully I'm building an interest in my daughters so they will want to tag along with dad.

Happy hunting (and filming) MO

If I don't plan on grabbing my bow, I pull out my video camera. There's nothing better than to review video footage taken from your stand. During the rut though, you might want pack an extra battery pack just in case you are fortunate enough to film a lot of activity. And because the cold weather can shorten your battery life before recharging. Keep in mind that if you plan to fling an arrow, make sure your camcorder is not bulging your clothes in the way of your string. Especially if you are shooting to one side or the other. Try not to use your camcorder to locate objects until you are ready to record. It is a lot easier to find them with the naked eye and then record. also try zooming in slowly and zooming out slowly. This will make for better viewing on your television. You never know when that monster buck appears out of bow range and you'll need a little back-up to show your buddies. Good Luck.

Lot of good advice above. I've been taking video for years starting with a huge vhs years ago. Modern day cameras are great, especially the digital video. The quality is really good and the prices keep dropping. You can edit and reproduce digital with no lose of quality.

On my Africa trip this August I'd shoot video each day from the blind and show the others in my party while eating supper at night. Each person in the group has decided they WILL have a video camera for their next trip because it is so much fun to show your friends.

It is a "You won't believe what I got on tape today!" type deal. I shot 6 hours in Africa. I think I'm on my 4th or 5th hour of whitetail for this year.

So far I've gotten my last 4 bucks on tape, live, before I shot them. Two of them were on numerous occassions before the day I took them. It is really fun to go back and look at those tapes so get a video camera and get out there and increase your fun level!

Old Buck

Top Bottom