Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Volunteer trees - CRP

Daver

PMA Member
I got a letter today that said I DO have to remove all of the volunteer trees from my CRP acres after all. This is 100% contrary to what they told me at the NRCS office about 2 months ago. So now in order to re-enroll for 10 years I have a limited time to clear the trees, mostly cedars and oaks.

It can be done of course, it is just frustrating to get jerked around and spend the money for a mow job or dozer. Anyone else run into this?

I haven't got a letter yet, but I don't have any trees growing either. All the ones I have planted are part of a CRP tree planting. The rest is switchgrass or NWSG mix. They told me though, that red cedars were ok...so that is contrary to what your being told now. If that's the case there will be a lot of dozers in fields this summer...and a lot of mowing being done! Lot's of places the Red Cedars are 10 ft. high after 20 years with no mowing! Yikes!
bigshock.gif

Been doing some checking, sounds like a lot of folks got letters. Not a local thing, they're just doing what they are told. Can't be anything growing that would keep the field from being planted. So if you couldn't plow em down one is going to have to have them brush cut or dozed.

Yes they will grant extensions. You either have to remove the trees by May 15th or make a special request to the FSA office to do spot treatment during the nesting season (May 15th to Aug 1st)
I've got maybe a 1/2 dozen locust trees that have "appeared" and are a little to big for a brush cutter so I'm going to take the chainsaw to them and I should be good to go.
If one uses a dozer then any disturbed sod will have to be re-seeded. A guy could make some money with a small dozer this summer!

I know a few guys who are going to be sheeting down their leg when they hear this! I though you HAD to do Mid-Contract Mgt. on all CRP acres to keep things like this in check? I have seen one farm go from broam to forrest in the last 8 years. Bought by a Non-Res and never touched! Will he have penalties if he doesn't take care of this or will they just deny re-enrollment? I just spooked an old hen turkey off her nest this week while mushroom hunting. She has eleven eggs already! I know I would hate to be mowing all my CRP acres right now. That could really hurt the early nesters.
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I know a few guys who are going to be sheeting down their leg when they hear this! I though you HAD to do Mid-Contract Mgt. on all CRP acres to keep things like this in check? I have seen one farm go from broam to forrest in the last 8 years. Bought by a Non-Res and never touched! Will he have penalties if he doesn't take care of this or will they just deny re-enrollment? I just spooked an old hen turkey off her nest this week while mushroom hunting. She has eleven eggs already! I know I would hate to be mowing all my CRP acres right now. That could really hurt the early nesters.
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
In the past, our FSA office at least, discouraged mowing including trees...especially red cedars. I know what you mean, I see cedars that are huge...hundreds of acres of them around my area! Gonna cost some big dollars for some guys to clear it! They have no choice...either clear it, or don't re-enroll! If anything is done during the nesting season, it will be spot treatment only...no mass mowing...at least not after May 15th.

I called the FSA office in Bloomfield Friday, FWIW they were surprised by this turn of events too. I think I can mow about 80% of my trees down and then get the rest with a dozer.

I know I have asked about this multiple times, as far back as 3 years ago and every time the answer was no problem, leave them be. Now with inspections imminent, they have to be removed. I don't disagree with the logic of the situation, just the 180 degree switch with very little time to get the work done.

But hey, since the dozer will be there anyway... I might just have to build a strategically placed, small watering pond or something.
grin.gif

I'm going to need to call now as I read my letter it stated that the trees were OK for extensions but would have to be removed to re-enroll.

Letter dated 4/18 under the Extensions (2-5 years) heading states "Volunteer trees will not subject existing contracts to a SPR (Standard payment reduction) as long as the approved cover is maintained and has not been destroyed by the volunteer trees."

Top Bottom