Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wednesday night follow-up

Big Timber

What a twisted night!!!!!
I got to my stand to find the farmer picking the corn/beans and asked him if he'd seen any deer sign. To my surprise, he told me he kicked out two ten-point bucks near my stand that appeared to be TWINS! He also said that the bucks were bedded not more then 10 yds away from each other.
After hearing this story I hurried and walked to my stand around 3:30 sweating my arse off. The first thing I saw was 3 roosters walking into the timber. Then came the 2 coyotes which I attempted to shoot but realized the possibility of losing my arrow and ruining my hunt. About 5 min later, one of the coyotes killed a rooster a once again ran by my stand. I had to hold back and not shoot.
I waited for another hour and finally saw two does moving along a trail into the beans. It was getting dark and I was dissapointed at not seeing any bucks so I started to get down from the stand when I heard another deer. As soon as I saw the body I knew it was large. I couldn't really see the rack because of twigs and leaves but there was a bush (his rack) moving in front of him. The buck walked out into the field and outta sight so I decided to get down and try a stalk.
I got out into the field without spooking the does and finally saw the buck. I failed in my stalk when I stepped on a twig and the buck turned to look. The spread on this thing is huge and I would guess him to be around 170! I was down wind from the buck but he sensed something was wrong so he bolted. I don't know if this is the same buck creating all the rubs and scrapes but he is definitely a shooter and possibly has a twin.
To add to the night, when I was leaving my farm I was on my phone when I hit a doe with my truck. I pulled over to the side of the gravel road and the doe came out of the ditch and ran away. I guess the deer in Madison county are tough.

I'm just surprised that there was anything moving because of the temperature. I guess it's a good thing when my stand is 50 yds from a pond. I'll keep you posted on the situation.

BT

Top Bottom