Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Weed Killer possibility?

loneranger

I put up a screen house inmy yard last summer with a plastic tarp as the floor. We took it down about mid-summer, the grass/weeds, under the tarp were totally dead. I mean totally, after a couple weeks of the tarp being down. It took quite a few weeks for any weeds to come back even a little. It got me to thinking. this would be a good way to kill weeds for a food plot. Smother them.Might be a new food plot prep product. Large tarps, with weights sown into the edges to keep them down. Not practical maybe for acres, but for smaller spots, maybe?

That's why our tent got thrown on the garage sale years ago, we'd get lazy and not bother to take it down for a while which didn't make for a pretty picture once we did take it down.

I'm sure there's a professional sports team somewhere that is willing to unload a stadium sized tarp.

Problem being you need a couple dozen guys to put it down.

Maybe someone could get OneCam or LimbChicken to design a ginormous Iowawhitetail football stadium sized tarp.

Plastic is used for weed control in quite a few applications but usually in rows with some sort of raised bed former attachment pulled by a tractor.

A tarp would probably work but unless you absolutely need an organic deer plot- I'd use round-up. Even if you were using it just in smaller spots- a small hand sprayer with RU is going to be less mess and dicking around than weighting down a tarp.

Just thought of this but how about plastic around new tree plantings? Is that a common practice or just too much work for a large scale planting?

They use plastic or fabric all the time around trees and row crops...works great! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

948DUAL1.JPG

Plastic Mulch Layers & Lifter

Using Weed Barriers

Shaw Fabrics

Fabric Mulch for Tree Planting

Top Bottom