Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

what a joke (late doe season)!

T

tk

whoever decided to do this deffinately needs to pull there head out and wipe the ring of!just talked to my pops up in michigan he said the late doe season is going on up there right now,and low and behold some happy doe hunter just brought in a 240 lber with a dink.i have personally seen two in the last couple of days without horns one wounded and the bigger one was not.i know of three different b/c sheds found from christmas to jan 15.from what i have seen from being around deer pens to spending pretty much 4 months a year in the woods the bigger bucks lose first!ha i just came up with a great idea we could start the late doe season around march 15 to april 30 and guess what they would all be does and we could blast them all, no guess work then.if you read the iowa harvest report i think it states that 6 percent of deer harvested during late doe season where bucks.why dont they do the doe harvest thing earlier in the season and give the big boys a break.well i guess if someone does shoot the monster that i am after we could share the trophy i will get the sheds and they will get there doe.thanks for listening and good luck to all just watch out for the block heads.seeya tim

TK. WOW!..... where do I start. Your post has got me so mad I don't know how to word everything that I want to say. First of all I can't believe that nobody else is upset with this post.
First of all I got to say that I like hunting big mature whitetail bucks as much as the next guy. But the craze for the big racks has got me disgusted. It has turned a sport that I love into a, cut throat buisness, argument among fellow hunters, a political debate, and in my opinion a over populated herd problem, among other things.
Now you are not the first person on this site to state your opinion and your beliefs. And don't get me wrong I respect them all. But when people start saying that their way is the only way, I say hogwash. And when other hunters (all of us on this site) start to argue about hunting seasons and trying to eliminate others way of hunting buy saying it is "a joke" I get a little offended.
we are all hunters on this site and sould respect everyones way they choose to hunt. Whether you agree with it or not. I'm guessing that you are not a farmer. But my father is, and when yeilds are down because of deer eating a good portion of the crop. I think that if a few bucks that have dropped their antlers get killed in a late doe season hunt, so be it. Big bucks eat corn and beans too. I'm sure my father is not the only farmer in iowa to have this problem. I also think in the long run if the doe to buck ratio is more evened out (by harvesting more does, hense the late doe season) the quality of our bucks will go up.
please dont think this is a personal attack. I'm just fed up with all the arguing that goes on around here, shotgunners against bowhunters, the good oleboy society etc. I just think in this time that all of us hunters need to stand together. To ensure that hunting is here to stay.
Now I hope I havn't offended anyone and if I have I appoligize. I just needed to vent a little.

My brother shot a doe the other night with his bow.Went and helped him find it the next morning and it was a buck.One antler had been busted off right at the base of the skull but the other one had been shed, it was still bleeding.Its gonna happen i guesse.Not much different than shooting a doe and upon finding it it turns out to be a button buck in the early season.

Some people are happy just to shoot a deer.They dont care what it is.I like to hold out for a big one myself but if somebody else wants to shoot one of the bucks i let walk im happy for em, at least they got a deer that theyll be happy with.If 6% of the doe harvest turns out to be bucks thats really not a large number of bucks killed mistakenly every year.My reasoning is theres a lotta guys, probably the majority of them that still wont shoot a doe, even if it is for the benefitof the whole herd.Theyre still stuck in what was untill recently around here a buck only sport.I dont feel the doe harvest is that great every year, so 6% of that harvest is really a small number of bucks.Matter of fact there were only 50 extra doe tags sold in my county, i wasnt aware they were on sale till almost 3 weeks after they started selling them.I still got two of them and my brother got 2 and they were still leftover tags.Even with the small amount of bucks mistakenly killed with numbers like that the DNR still isnt getting enough help controlling the does, just my opinion.

first of i am sorry to those i have offended,i realize that there all kinds of hunters,from first timers to season veterans,and that we all take it to different extremes.my observations have been different then yours dble throat patch and horst,on the farm that i farm i see more bucks then does,the doe harvest program is already been done during bow season gun season late muzzle and bow,you are both right in some areas there are way to many does because of buck only hunting.so how do we help the problem, give a doe tag to all those non residents to fill,give out more doe tags in those problem areas,which can be used during bow gun or late muzzle/bow.i am not saying eliminate late doe season just move it up with late muzzle/bow.if a farmer is having problems he should be able to get several farm permits used during the seasons or earlier when the deer are out in his feilds when the crops are on,like early sept.i personally feel the late doe season is to late and puts to much pressure on the bucks that did make it thru, and are trying to regroup after a hard rut.horst the buck that your brother shot was it wounded or did it look fine?its funny i just talked to a guy bowhunting over by ottumwa last weekend he said he was up in his stand and once it started to get light out he looked downand there laid under his tree,both sheds from a 140 8pt he said there was blood all over so he must of shed them that night.well i guess there is another doe for late doe season.good luck to all,and watch out for the blockheads{bucks}.seeya tim

My property is in Van Buren, County, right smack in the heart of the late season area. My biggest concern with the late season is the chance of shooting bucks which have shed their antlers. It's a shame to have a big buck, or little one as well, make it through the entire hunting season and then get shot by someone thinking they are shooting a doe. That being said, I did not see any last year nor this past weekend which had shed. Last year it seemed like most kept their antlers until pretty late in the winter. I agree with comments that if more does need to be killed then the DNR should make more doe permits available. VB county had 1000 permits, the tops in the state. A friend of mine was going to come down to my place during the late muzzleloading season to shoot a doe but all of the VB county tags including the special late season had already been sold. I saw just as many deer this past weekend as I saw at any time during the early bow season, so I guess they haven't decimated the deer herd around my area.

...I too have had questions and concerns about the Special Late Season...if decreasing the herd is the goal than obviously the main goal is to harvest does...I would think that you would want to reduce the chance of harvesting bucks (of any age) because you decrease the effectiveness of the special season when bucks are taken...also I would like to know what criteria exist when choosing what counties should be included in the Special Late Season...some of the counties included this year only had 100-200 special antlerless-only tags available for the regular seasons while some other counties that had 300 or more antlerless-only tags were not included...I am sure there is a reason for each of my concerns but I would like to hear them...

Iam sure their are counties in michigan that need to harvest more does but in muskegon county the deer numbers are lower now then I have ever seen in 25 years.I usually have 8 to 12 deer behind my house after gun season and this year I have one yearling.A friend hunted 15 sits on good deer land(was good land)before he saw a deer
DNR Mr. Cool is ruining our deer herd to keep the insurance companys happy.

Tk, funny you asked that.The deer my brother shot had to be thrown out.There was something way wrong with it.At first I thought hed just been injured in a fight or something.The insidelining in his ear was torn away from the outside and the ear was real infected.But yesterday i found out that when they went to hang it the ear actually came off in my brother in laws hand.Then when they started trying to skin it it stunk real bad and the meat was a pasty grey color even back through the hind quarters, instead of the red color you usually see.Infection must of been clear through this deers body.They also said the face was all swollen and it didnt appear he could open his mouth as they couldnt even pry it open.Looked like maybe he hadnt been eating for awhile anyway.Im gueesing hed been hit be a car judging by looks of the broken antler and the ear a week or so before my broth shot him.Even though the other antler was shed i think the infection caused it.

I wasnt offended by your post.I just dont believe from looking at the license sales that we as hunters are giving the DNR enough help in keeping the doe population down.I buy all the extra doe tags they will let me but theres only 50 for my whole county.I came down to southern Iowa a few years ago for the late season doe hunt.Didnt see a deer the whole time i was there but had a lotta fun watching the turkeys and coyotes.I also only run into one other group of hunters the whole time i was there.Moving it back to the late season would piss off a lotta muzzleloader hunters who go that season because theres less hunters in the woods.Theres a lotta thing to take into account i suppose when they decide when to have a deer season, other groups of hunters, amounts of crops still in, they cant get the number od does killed they need killed when theyre hiding in a million acres of standing corn.If everyone would take advantage of the tags that are available now they wouldnt need the special late season after a few years.

Top Bottom