Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What broadhead to use

K

kingman

I'm trying to decide what broadhead to use on turkeys. I shoot a 100gr. Muzzy for deer but I've heard a few people suggest the expandables with a big cutting diameter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

i would just use what you use for deer. If it kills a deer, it's sure going to kill a turkey.

kingman

I too am going to jump into the world of bowhunting turkeys this season. I've been told that you probably DON'T want to use your deer heads. The idea isn't just to kill them...but to find them. Others more knowledgeable than I say that the goal should be that the arrow doesn't pass through the bird. Therefore, they're suggesting using a large (like 3") diameter expandable. I believe Rocket makes such a head in the 100 grain flavor. I've shot expandables on deer and bear for several years, but not that large of a cutting diameter. Just one of the things on my shopping list for the Classic this weekend.
grin.gif

NWBuck

One thing you can do that still allows you to use the same set-up as you do for deer is to put a "grasshopper" type addition between your broadhead and arrow shaft. I've used the ones made be Adder and they seem to work well. They provide a large entry/exit wound but will generally keep your arrow from passing through. I think a pack of 6 only cost about $4-$5. Good luck.

NAP makes an expandable called the gobbler stopper or something along those lines and the idea of that broadhead is to not get a pass thru. The point on it is rounded and not sharp so it will get slowed down on contact. I think Im going to try it this year. Good Luck!!!!! BowHunt'nFool

I've seen the ones called "Gobbler Stopper", or whatever, and one thing still bothers me. It just doesn't make sense to me to inhibit penetration by dulling the point and blades. You've still got to cut to kill. At the Classic on Sunday a guy was selling a turkey head that actually had 2 of the 3 blades intentionally dulled. There's got to be a way to keep the arrow from going through the bird and still use a razor sharp head...or maybe not??? SHEDHEAD...does that adder point effect arrow flight much ? How heavy is it ? Thanks for the help.

NWBuck

Have used the same set-up for turkeys as I do for deer (100 gr Thunderheads) but am more confident when using an expandable head. I like the increased cutting diameter. Not sure if I buy the keep the arrow in the bird concept but it works for some.

Been using WASP Jak-Hammers but am thinking about trying the Rockets.

Usually end up getting frustrated and using the firestick!

Good Luck!

Go Early, Stay Late... Limb Chicken

I've taken birds with thunderhead 125's in the old days but now I'm with NWBuck and Limb Chicken. On the last two I've used a large expandable and had good results. A friend gave them to me and can't remember the brand name but they had big blades.

For turkey, I want it to fly straight, cut a big hole and do lots of damage. The heads do have a sharp tip and sharp blades. The big blades work because I don't need a complete pass through. I've yet to follow a blood trail on a gobbler. Also with the arrow in the bird it is more difficult for him to run or fly.

Top Bottom