Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What happened (shot question)

boacephus

Rough day yesterday for the guy I hunt with.

Started off in the morning with his 14yr old son sticking a 8pt. He rattled him in to 8yds and the boy shots in the "dead zone" from the ground. You know right above the lungs and below the spine. They backed out and came back 3 hrs later only for a long tracking job to no avail. He shoots between 50-60lbs, 100gr rages, no pass through, good penetration but it must have hit the other shoulder. He might have got one lung on the top but that one got away.

Okay so fast forward to the evening hunt and the question. Lots of activity, alot of movement and alot of deer in a small secluded 4 acre harvested corn. I'm in SE corner buddy is in the NE corner. Watching does in the field, thought I seen a deer to the N edge, but wasn't sure. Look to the NE corner and see a deer, okay I can tell it's a buck but can't tell what caliber buck. Figure my buddy is further in the timber than I thought or smaller buck or possibly couldn't get drawn, I didn't know. I did a bit of grunting alright that buck is turning and going to give me a better look. Then I here the "THWACK" deer takes off, hello nurse, nice buck from the distance I was looked about like a 4 1/2 10pt, maybe even a funny sticker or a drop tine couldn't really tell. I see the arrow flopping on the left side, deer clears the field and fence with no limp, hits the corn and sounded like a crash, but not sure. Nice buck no chances taken we pull out, didn't even look for blood at the impact sight. Get the light and his son and go straight to the fence where he jumped, immediately found blood. Nice dime size, splatter 6' up on the corn stalks. Okay hit the water way it wasn't a crash. Trailed an easy trail into the timber, we make it 200yds into then the blood stopped. Make some circles to no avail. I spent another 2 hrs this morning and lost blood at the same spot, even did a one man grid search, still no arrow no blood, no deer.

What the hell happened!!!! My first thought even though he felt it was shot to the boiler room, was shoulder, but he had no limp as he ran with tail down. Blood was good but not lung blood, my best id of it would be simply "muscle" blood. My only other thought is one of the 3 blades caught the leg bone and stopped the arrow. Even then I would certainly think he would have got better penetration. When I seen the arrow bouncing it looked like a good shot other than I thought it was the exit side and it turned out to be the entry side. Any impact or ideas on the lack of penetration on this one???? I'm thinking he will make it since I couldn't find him but it still has me scratching my head.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sounds like he hit a shoulder blade on the side he was shooting at.</div></div>

Top Bottom