Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What is a good mix......

Shredder

Life Member
to include alongside the alfalfa I am planning on putting in this spring? I have about a 1.5 acre plot area I am going to tear up about the time turkey season comes to a halt. I was thinking red clover, orchard grass, or even sweet clover but want to know what others would think. Thanks for the input in advance.

I favor white clovers but almost always mix some red in as they seem to handle drought better. Orchard or timothy, just depends what you want. Will you still have annual plots in the area for beans/corn/wheat/rye?

no annuals...I may wait to plant the alfalfa in mid to late august and just use some soybeans as a filler til then.

if you want an awesome perenial plot plant a mix of clover, chicory, and alfalfa! The deer will love you!! The deer ate our small plot to the ground before season started!!!!!!

I have had very good luck with the Biologic Clover Plus. I have a tiny little plot, maybe .1 acres and the deer and turkey are in it constantly. All spring, summer, fall, and even during the deep snow during shotgun. Last day of late doe season there were 8-10 deer feeding in it at dark. I was in it on Friday and the deer have eaten it to the dirt. There are actually a bunch of fresh clover sprouts coming up, I suppose due to the warm weather, and they are still hitting it.
Pretty good performance for $9 at Wally World. I plan on planting more of it this spring.

[ QUOTE ]
to include alongside the alfalfa I am planning on putting in this spring? I have about a 1.5 acre plot area I am going to tear up about the time turkey season comes to a halt. I was thinking red clover, orchard grass, or even sweet clover but want to know what others would think. Thanks for the input in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]
If your mixing seed, personally I would skip any "grasses" and stick with species that won't compete with each other. Sweet clover gets to tall and rank, it's better for erosion control. I would stick with the types everbody has already mentioned. August is my favorite time to plant both alfalfa and clover!
Check out this previous post also:
http://www.iowawhitetail.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=129847&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Top Bottom