Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

what is the biggest turkey u guys have shot

bighunter

This is my first year turkey huntin and i was just wonderin what the biggest turkey u guys have ever killed.If u want u can tell me some tips on turkey huntin and some tips on how to use moth calls.

My biggest turkey came last year. A 26.5lbs, 10.25 inch beard and 1.5 & 1.25 inch spurs. As far as tips go: I use primos calls. But that's a personal preference. Use what you feel comfortable with. At first I bought a couple of primos videos and when they used the calls I had in the video, I would pause the tape and try to make the exact same sound. I then did the same with a CD. I also read every magazine and internet article that I could find on the topic, and still do. Finally, I scout alot. Probably more days than I hunt. Good luck. It is addicting also. I was hooked the first morning when I hit my owl call and 3 owls went nutz in the valley. Not to mention every gobble that I've heard since.

...my first two tukeys were both 26lbs...I haven't shot any bigger in the following 13 springs...though, I am much more impressed with the spur length...they give me a better idea of how many hunting seasons they have likely survived...

...as for mouth calls I think it is best to get comfortable with having it in your mouth before you worry too much about how you sound...when I buy a new mouth call I usually trim the tape (not the reeds) to make it a little smaller so that it doesn't feel so cumbersome...I also will chew on the remaining tape some to make it a little more flexible...once it feels good practice - practice - practice!...

...if there is a secret to turkey hunting its scouting...just like Waukon I scout more days than I hunt...get to know your hunting area then get to know where the birds like to spend their days...good luck!...

Alex,

Hi, you are up for some real excitement since this is your first year. You will surely catch the "Spring Turkey Fever".

As far as my biggest Tom, took my old spring scale to 25 1/2 pounds. Don't be too concerned about the turkey weight thing, have fun and enjoy an exciting hunt. Of the 25+ turkeys I've logged the weight on, came up with about a 21.5 pound average.

Keep all your spurs....they make a great necklace when strung on a piece of leather boot lace and will also be a reminder of many great hunts.

Good Luck!

My biggest turk was about 23 pounds, and I have been along when some of my buddies have shot some 24+ pounders. One buddy of mine shot a 29 pounder a few years back....it was one monster of a bird! Just like the others have said, don't worry about the weight...you'll have a blast regardless if you shoot a jake or a big tom. I have had the spring turkey hunting fever for about 6 years now, and it gets stronger every year! The more you scout and hunt, the more and more you will learn. I learned alot by making stupid mistakes that cost me many o' bird. Good luck and get ready for some of the most exciting hunts you will ever have! I can almost hear those gobblers in the morning now........

Those turkeys will get in your blood so be prepared to never give it up.

rambo.gif
My biggest Eastern went 27 pounds even.

Take along a slate. They're a good when you get the urge to call too much. The late seasons can test your patience. Quite often less is more, allow yourself plenty of time, get comfortable and pull out that slate and do some clucks. Turkeys are clucking all the time and you'll find in the late seasons hen yelping other than fly down is rare. Give 'em a few clucks and plenty of time.

Allamakee Grand Slam

AS GOD IS MY WITNESS( AND ALL.GRAND SLAM)THE LARGEST WAS EITHER 14 LBS OR 26 LB 13 OZ. CANT QUITE REMEMBER, BUT THEY WERE SHOT FROM THE SAME TREE TWO YEARS IN A ROW---BOY SURE HOPE I CAN FIND ONE OR FIVE THIS SPRING..YA KNOW IF THAT DARN ALL. GRAND SLAM COULD JUST LEARN HOW TO RUN THAT SLATE, THEN MAYBE THOSE TURKS WOULDNT LOOSE SO MUCH WEIGHT LAUGHING AT HIM...
flaming.gif
THE DEUL BEGINS. M350 TURKEY LORD!!!!!!

M350 and Allamakee G.S. maybe you guys want to have a county contest. I would be willing to throw some $$$ in the pot.

Biggest gob for me was a dude I almost ran over with my truck. Came down the hill at Royertown Bridget over the Maquoketa River and on the other side were turkeys. I hit the accellerator and went at 'em! 4 hens and a tom in full strut on the highway! They flushed over the ridge so I pulled over and walked up in on some of my neighbor's ground and called him right back to the road.

29 1/4 lbs. 9 inch beard. 1 3/4 & 1 1/2 in spurs.

He shook the leaves as he gobbled.

Three years ago I took a gobbler that weighed 27 1/2 lbs. - 11 5/8" beard - 1.5 & 1.25" spurs.
Roosted him and his buddy the night before. I shot him at 6:30 the next morning in a creek bottom/strut zone.

As for tips, learn the basic calls(cluck, purr, & yelp), be patient, read everything you can get your hands on that's related to turkey hunting, watch turkeyhunting videos(there are some really good ones available that you can learn from) AND did I mention how important patience is?
wink.gif

Despite the helpful advice that you will read or hear from other turkey hunters, you will learn more from your own experiences turkey hunting. There is no substitute for time in the woods. It's a wonderful sport, that happens at a great time of year.....

Best of Luck
TB

My biggest is with a bow and it was 26 lbs with a 10.5 inch beard and 1 inch spurs. Greatest felling in the world taking one with a bow. As for tips, make sure you scout good and watch for anything that will make a old boy hang up.
mad.gif

This one...shot a couple of years ago on opening day of 1st season in a -13 degree wind chill. He weighed right at 25 lbs. and had two beards over 10" each.

Turkeypic.jpg

NWBuck

i cant say "i shot" but my 11 year old brother shot a 27 pound 11 1/4 inch bird. i was There though
smile.gif
it was funy watching him try to pick it up though. hehe he got about 10 yards then dad came to the rescue and carried it to the truck

NWBUCK.....
Thanks for sharing the great picture!
smile.gif

Gives me the fever for Spring Gobbler Hunt'n.

Top Bottom