Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What is your gun-choke-load combo?

G

GunnerJon

Well, this board has been a little slow lately....and ever since filling my last two antlerless tags all I have been thinking about is turkey hunting. So being the turkey hunting nut that I am.....I decided to ask what is everyone's favorite gun-choke-and load combination? I actually think I have asked this in years past....but oh well!

My favorite is my good ol' Mossberg 500 camo. Not a pretty gun, but it is built like a tank and keeps knocking them dead year after year. I have a Hastings .665 choke and it throws a beautiful pattern with Win HV #6's. I have it topped with a Tasco red dot and love it.

What's your setup?

Winchester Super X2 in black with Bushnell Holosite on top. Been shooting 3&1/2" but have never probably needed it. I go back & forth with WW HV 5 or 6 shot. Tried Hevi shot last year but didn't see any increase in performance on paper anyway. Either use a Mad Max .670 or Hastings .685 choke. If I had to pick one set-up & never change it would be the Hastings choke with WW HV 5's.

i like to use a 28 inch GoldTip with a muzzy on it.
893smileystooges-thumb[1].gif

remington 870 mossy oak synthetic, 3.5 , with hevishot number 5s and an undertaker turkey choke
smile.gif

I'm living in the dark ages...Browning B80 12ga. Modified choke 3 in. #5 shot. I know that this next statement will jinx me forever but....I haven't missed a bird yet. Considering bowhunting them this spring though.
smile.gif

3 inch #6's with a extra full choke. second best is same load with a modified. Modified is almost better unless you shoot out to about 40 yards ish. Close you can miss with the extra full. Mainly as long as you know where your gun shoots you should be fine. Only need about one BB in the head and they will die.

as far as gun goes, my H&R 10 gauge has a built in full choke and i used to shoot 3 1/2 inch mags in #4 shot. packs a punch. of course i had to rig up a wheel and axle to lug the heavy sob around

not dissin that gun at all. i absolutely LOVE that gun. have killed more birds with that than anything before i made the switch to bow.

gun gets credit for a kill that I would not even have attempted. had to be very close to 50 yards and so brushy I don't know how he could see it. It was a dead bird though. Standing on that bird he says see that tree - i was at the base of it. Really???? WOW...

thats right older is better u guys can have them expensive guns i shoo t old sh*t and u guys want to see who the better shot is bring it muddy gots my back now excuse me why a dance alittle bit
yay.gif
yay.gif
yay.gif
yay.gif
yay.gif
yay.gif
yay.gif

I now shoot a Benelli Super Black Eagle with X-Full choke and 3 1/2" 4's but only cause I got lucky enough to win it at a Pheasants Forever Banquet a few years back. Used to use Winchester's first model 1300 turkey gun with the 22" barrel and 3" 4's. It was a sweet gun.
beerchug.gif

How about a 62" longbow with cedar shafts and a 150 grain snuffer

I'll be launching a 31" 2315 or a load of #5's pushed by 120 grains of powder out of the Knight TK2000. Probably the muzzleloader 1st season and bow 4rh.

NWBuck

...here is the list at the moment...

Remington 870 Super Mag (Remington Turkey Full) shooting Federal 3" #5's (1 7/8 oz)

American Arms Over/Under (Comp-N-Choke .670 & .660) shooting Federal 3" #5's (1 7/8 oz)

NEF Single-Shot 10 ga. (Full Choke)shooting Remington or Federal #6's (2 1/4 oz)

Mossberg Ulti-Mag 835 in realtree xtra gray.3 1/2" winchester 5"s in the high velosity load.Kick's choke tube,I tried a bunch and this one was the best I found.
sniper.gif

Benelli M1-Super 90 26" barrel out of the box full choke with 3 inch Federal #5's. In my opinion, you don't need a howitzer with 50 yard range. If I can't call them to AT LEAST 30 yards, I let 'em walk. I have had birds hold up at 40-50 yards, and with a super tight choke, probably could have attempted a shot, but it's that last 10-20 yards that is the most rewarding for me.

Just like the old man I shoot a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag 3 1/2"...No fancy chokes for me just what came with the gun. But I tell you what that 3 1/2" High Velocity #6 does the job for me out to about 40 yards but I like to get um in closer...Them gobblers are to beautiful to shoot way out there.
evil.gif
Did I mention I didnt pay a dime for my Ulti-Mag...Gotta love them NWTF turkey banquets.
peace.gif

I didn't pay a dime for my Browning BDL either, my buddy bought me a raffle ticket for field and stream club in newyork. I about $h!+ when he called my #. Oh well went home and spray painted it cause nothing likes shiny guns in the woods. HA HA . He was not a happy camper when he found out i painted it.

Top Bottom