Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What options does a guy have???

boacephus

I don't own any land, I do have a few farms that I have nearly sole archery rights to though. I would love to do some food plots on some of them. I can't do anything huge for the simple fact of equipment. Perhaps I could trade some labor to have the farmer plant it for me? I do have several bags of seed corn from work, I suppose I could walk along poking holes with a stick and dropping in seeds, LOL. Course I suppose I would get tired of that before I created a large enough plot that the critters wouldn't demolish prior to any season. Could a feller plant an area and somehow fence it off till the other crops were harvested or perhaps a really late planting?

Any ideas of what one might be able to do on a smallish scale but still benefit myself, other than keeping the buck to doe ratio in check?? Even that is hard to do when the bordering farmers don't follow general QDM.

I've also said that winter wheat or rye is a good one to go with. Just broadcast into standing beans a few weeks before harvest, then, after the beans are harvested, give it a few weeks and you have a nice green plot. Its simple, all you need is a hand seeder, and winter wheat and rye won't break the bank on cost either.

All of this with the farmers permission, because he will have to kill it out the next year.

Rape in the farmers corn field.

Wait till they spray for weeds and then get in and spread your seed underneth the corn. It requires alot of bending over. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
There are a couple of threads in this forum about doing rape in with corn.

Dean

Tell the farmer that you would like to do something to improve hunting- he may have ideas or become a partner. If nothing else you can offer to pay for leaving an acre of corn stand. Edges may not yield as well as the rest of the field anyway if there has been much early deer pressure. That would be one of the easiest ways to have a plot.

Top Bottom