Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

WHAT SHOULD I DO??????????

spinefxr

PMA Member
I'd hunt it. Thursday afternoon, I drove through a partially picked bean field, got out, scouted aroound the edge of the field for a tree to hang my climber in, and put the stand on, and drove out. Saturday, I saw deer, including the one I mentioned in the post "missed opprtunity".

i say hunt it. no promises that the buck will be around in a couple of weeks.

or....maybe you should let your hunting buddy go in and try it out for a few days, then he can tell you if it's ready or not.
tongue.gif

Did you get any rain down there after you hung it? If you did, get your $ss in it. If not wait a day or two, let them get use to the surroundings after you disturbed it. Unless you didn't do any major trimming or anything other than hang a stand. If you did minimal work to the area get on it. WE WANT PICTURES OF THE BRUTE TOO!

I helped Big Timber hang that stand the other day and it is truely the best sign I have every seen. It's ridiculuos how many large rubs and scraps there are, and there are some very large tracks to go with it. I'm looking forward to seeing this true giant we think we have found, but I'm not looking forward to dragging him out.

P.S. Big Timber. I hope he goes down the other finger of the draw and meets the wrath of The Bone Crusher.

Go hunt it if it gives you pleasure.

Heck, I forget the basics every time I go out.

I would never go out if I feared disturbing a big buck. (There are just too many
smile.gif
) ......and life is too short to worry about one deer.

The best things learned are from experience.

Hey you better get in there and hunt. I went to one of my best cornfield funnels last Wensday morning, got into my stand at 5:30, at 6:15 a diesel engine roared to life and a John Deere 9750 started shelling corn, at 11:00 there wasn't a stalk left in the field. The earliest I've ever had em shell that field, usually it's the last week of October. Sorta ruined my funnel.
frown.gif

Bobcats right, with the crops coming out and the weather changing you should hunt it while its hot.In a couple weeks that buck could be in a different spot lookin for food, does, etc..Get after him
wink.gif

the way i see it you got two options:

1. hunt it yourself right away
2. give me directions and i'll hunt it for you

i suggest numeral 2 because i wouldn't want you to "waste" your time there. of course not many people do what i suggest.

wink.gif

Hunt it now. Field harvest or rut could change the pattern, might not be there much longer. Just de-scent when you go in (as if anybody needed to say that). I sort of doubt that deer would notice after a day at most, or they'd all be quivering wrecks from all of the people they encounter. Almost have to "prioritize", react to new scent and disregard old.

Put down an appropriate cover scent if it makes you feel better (estrous doe probably ISN'T appropriate yet). Maybe "new car smell"--a North American Whitetail article from a couple of years ago cited a study that found it the most effective in attracting deer, just ahead of human urine and estrous doe....

I found a PRIME spot to set a stand yesterday. I decided to set a stand but I forgot to do the basics. I didn't wear rubber boots and I tromped around a little too much. The stand is at the end of a funnel of corn leading into the timber. It appears from the rubs, tracks, and scrapes that there is heavy buck activity. My question is......should I hunt the stand this week or wait a few weeks to let it kinda "cool down" a bit before I hunt it. I have good reason to believe that the buck working this area is BIG. I also believe that the first time you hunt a stand is the best. I also have an easy, quiet route to the stand so not to disturb anything. What should I do?

Thanks,

BT

Thanks for the replies,
I'm going out wednesday night to hunt that stand. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again,

BT

The only thing I would let dictate whether or not I hunted it would be the wind. If the wind is favorable tomorrow night go shoot the brute and post a picture.

Good luck and be safe,

T.D.

Big Timber
You already new you were going to hunt that stand as soon as possible-you just wanted everyone to make you feel better about it!!!!!!
Good luck.
DONW

Top Bottom