Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What to Do???????

baggin_bucks

Just got a small piece of timber bought. It's 31 acres of upland timber. Mature hardwoods of oak hickory and such, multiflora rose, and small trees. Very very, thick. I know thick is good, but, I can't even hardly walk through the place.
The piece is adjoined with hundreds of acres of big timber. My question is, can I go in and clear SOME of the multiflora and such up and at least make some trails so a person can get around the piece without making to much of a dent on the habitat? It would be nice to be able to take the little guy squirrel or rabbit hunting and not have to worry about him getting lost in a rose bush. I was thinking of going through and clearing a good portion of the scrub trees and multiflora rose up and doing some hinge cutting. I also would pile some of the cut trees and bushes into piles instead of burning it. What would you do?

Lay down a good plan for a trail system and get in there with a brush hog. While thick is good, you will still need to quietly access the property.

Wildlife will use the trails as much as you do. Sign up for some TSI work at your NRCS office, get a distric forester in there, and get paid to improve your timber quality and habitat. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Lay down a good plan for a trail system and get in there with a brush hog. While thick is good, you will still need to quietly access the property.

Wildlife will use the trails as much as you do. Sign up for some TSI work at your NRCS office, get a distric forester in there, and get paid to improve your timber quality and habitat. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

</div></div>

Didn't even think about getting ahold of NRCS for TSI. Thanks Ghost! What are some of the things that they will usually do for TSI?

If you are surrounded by other forrest I'd think about clearing out a place or two for food plots. Unless, of course, there are crops in the immediate area.

The 'Bonker

Yes, that is also a good idea Bonker.

Even if there are crops around, a secluded food plot may be the ticket to drawing deer from the surrounding area. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I have thought about the food plot deal as well. The timber actually borders a hay/crop field but like ghost said having a secluded plot may help as well. There is a perfect place for a small one right in the middle of the timber.

I would put one in about 50 yards from one of the edges. With a small timber you don't want to bump deer going in and out. It has worked for me. Your middle may be your core bedding depending on pressure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wildlife will use the trails as much as you do. </div></div>

Get an arial photo and try to make trails to your advantage as far as putting up stands or blinds. Consider trails leading to and from a small food plot that you can access quietly but also that may lead from a bedding area.

Thick is great but they don't like to work to hard crawling thru that stuff either. Give em a path and they'll use it in a heart beat, great place for mineral licks and trail cameras as well.

TSI will most likely make some areas even thicker underneath once you open up the canopy. Wildlife and your timber stand will appreciate your efforts.

MF is getting hit with disease slowly but surely so one day it may be less of a problem but something will take it's place I'm sure.

Once you get some trails established and look things over with your forester you might also consider doing some timber burns to enhance your forage.

Your going to enjoy your property and have a blast improving it hunting and timber. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

A lot of great advice here.

My advice w/ such a small piece is keep the pressure down as much as possible.

When you are going to do work in there w/ food plots, TSI, trails, etc get in there and get them done. Don't waste time.
I like the idea of a food plot only 50 yds in at the most. If you could put one on the south and north sides that would be my suggestion to play the winds best. i would just rent a dozer for a day and clear a couple plots as well as trails. It will cost about 1K a day but it should be worth it. Plant a nice green plot for south winds and a late season plot for the north winds.

Figure out where you want to do this in advance and go to work.

If there is an area in the middle of the timber that is slightly open I would plant some trees and try to add more habitat.

It will be a process that will take time but it is well worth it.

Good luck!

Top Bottom