Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What to mix with alfalfa in a plot?

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
The farmer is going to plant some alfalfa for us in spots on our tillable land that are having errosion problems. He asked us if there is anything else we'd like to mix with the alfalfa, he knows we live for deer hunting! He will cut and bail it a couple times in the summer, not sure if winter wheat, oats, or anything else mixes well with alfafa and also works well with cutting and bailing it. Any suggestions?

That was my first two thoughts, clover and/or chicory. So these can be cut/mowed and bailed with no problems...I have no farming knowledge so just putting that out there! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif We'll check the ph and fertilize as needed.

Already made the mistake 4 yrs ago and thought.."you guys and your ph, this is great ground for a food plot! wrong, that plot didn't grow for crap!" Lesson learned there

Is he going to bale it on shares or where is the hay going? Some people don't want clover in their hay but if he is using it himself or has a market for it- whatever... Maybe some orchard grass in the mix, WW or oats is going to be a one-time shot.

He's just going to use it for his cattle, we'll have to look at winter wheat too, thanks fellas clover and chicory sound pretty good as far as deer attracting power goes

CHICORY!

No doubt in my book. One of my favorite spots is over looking a 20acre alfalfa with some natural chicory. It seems to come back well. I would also go with some clovers. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Other than them two its hard to find anything that can be bailed and will still be attractive.

Dean

Top Bottom