Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What to plant.....HELP!

savey33

I am going to plant a couple of food plots for the first time this year. I live in SE South Dakota and was wondering what would be the best thing to plant. There is corn and beans everywhere, so I would like to plant something different since they can get these two about anywhere. I want to put it in the middle of a wooded 40 acre wooded area. LOTS of pressure where I live, so I am hoping they will feel secure where I put it. ANY info for those of you who also live in heavy agricultural areas would be much appreciated.

Have heard positive and negs about turnips(lots seem to hate them after a while). Thought about Biologic Maximum?????? I am planning on two plots, so I would like to try 2 different types.

FOR SURE do a section of clover (or clover/alf-alfa)!!! Let's say you only had a couple acres, do some of it and you'll see how awesome it is, you'll also have food plot that will continue to grow back- you can frost seed it to keep it going, easy to establish, deer generally don't kill it, they are guaranteed to eat it (pretty much), they love it all year long, etc. Many of those things can't be said with some things such as turnips. That's just my opinion and experience (on my UNIQUE land, the deer didn't touch turnips 1st year but any year going forward I have had much better luck with clover or alf-alfa). Give em a buffet, sounds like you have great idea with 2 different plots.
Possibilities- Sugar beats, rye, forage oats, clover and/or alf-alfa, chicory. If you own the land, I would also HIGHLY suggest planting some apple trees and other fruit trees. Have fun.

If there's no alfalfa or clover nearby I'd definitely plant one of those two. In the fall you could till up half of it and plant some winter forage such as turnips...in the middle of a 40 acre wooded lot: deer heaven.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: saveyhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is alfalfa near one of the plots. What brands have you had success with? </div></div>

Availablity of equipment and time to maintain the plots are somethings you will want to keep in mind.

Clover is very easy to plant and maintain compared to alfalfa and I would urge you to read through our threads on Alfalfa and Clover for more information on the attributes of each and some varieties that have worked for us. If you choose alflafa a grazing type of alflafa suited for your area might be best.

Rye and oats are very easy and very inexpensive to plant and will draw deer as good or better then anything out there. Just be sure to mix them because the oats will freeze off where as the rye will stay green all winter. Cereal Grains

Brassicas are also easy to plant but they require nitrogen and sometimes deer have to aquire a taste for them, so perhaps not the best for your first plots.

Have fun and don't be afraid to try several different things in your area and figuring out what works best for you.

My brother does have a small tractor and equipment to go with it along with a 4 wheeler. Anyone tried planting corn/beans with clover (anything) between the rows? I thought I heard a guy at Scheels talking about that one day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone tried planting corn/beans with clover (anything) between the rows? </div></div>

I have seen corn no-tilled into Kura clover and band sprayed to set back the clover.

Kura clover is a little difficult and slow to establish however and it would take some managment to make the combo work. Great idea however because the clover is fixing nitrogen and is low growing, capable of surviving semi-shaded rows of corn.

Living Mulch

Brassicas can be sown in mid to late August in bewteen rows of corn to provide and additional food source providing the corn hasn't been sprayed to heavily with Atrazine.

Top Bottom