Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What's a Good setup?

Rackaddict

Life Member
I've tried turkey hunting with my bow for 3 years, unsuccessfully I might ad, and I am determined to do it this year. What I'm wondering is, what's the best setup with your decoys using a bow? Also, I need some input on broadheads for birds and if a popup blind is the way to go. Lay it on me, I need some advice. Thanks!

I'm with you RackAddict....... this will be my second year turkey hunting with a bow. I bought Double Bulls newest blind the Import 5 It looks to be an awesome blind...... check out the thread "Blind Advise" below.... some pretty good advise there........ GOOD LUCK!!!!
wink.gif

FOR STARTERS, PLAN ON USING A JAKE DECOY AS A FOCAL POINT. AS MANY HENS AS YOU WANT (2-4)_ WORK GREAT BUT TRY TO KEEP THE JAKE DEKE AT 1/2 YOUR MAX. ACCURATE ARCHERY SHOT. I HONESTLY TRY TO KEEP THE JAKE AT 3-4 YARDS--NO, NOT BECAUSE MY MAX RANGE IS 6-8 YARDS, BUT BECAUSE IT GIVES YOU A BETTER SHOT PERCENTAGE. I'VE DONE OK WITH ARCHERY EQUIP--TOTALLY LOVE THE RUSH. I KNOW ROGER R WILL ADD TO THIS FORUM--HE'S PROBABLY BEEN STICKEN EM THE LONGEST OF ALL OF US...I DO HAPPEN TO KNOW ABOUT A DOZEN DIE HARD ARCHERY HUNTERS UP HERE AND THEY ARE GOOD..BLINDS ARE A MUST, AT LEAST FOR THE COMFORT. I TEND TO CATCH UP ON A LOT OF SLEEP IN THE SPRING

M350, Which way do you setup your jake, facing you or away?

Another thing I wanted to ask about was fletching color. Are you guys concerned about using bright colors or do you try to stick with camo colors. My arrows for deer are crested white with white and chart. green fletching. I thought they might give me away.

Cornfed, Thanks for the direction to the posts on "Blind Advise". Good info there for sure.

Rackaddict, Hang in there, I went 0-7 on my first 2 years w/stick and string on turkeys. First year was in southern Iowa, I had 4 big toms come racing in from 200 yds and I blew a 15-20 yd shot at them struttin right in front of me next to my coys. I ended up missing a total of 5 times that weekend. The following year I hunted Nebraska and missed a couple more big toms at close range. I think I'm a good shot and usually can shoot ping pong balls out to 30yds pretty consistenty. I just get so wound up when they come in, it's kind like buck fever I guess. I got a double bull last year and it's awesome, you can get away with so much movement. Before I used to use a home-made blind and like I said before, I had plenty of opportunities, it's just knowing when to draw. I try to set my coys facing away from me about 10-15 yds out, that way when the toms come in and want to show off there fans to the girls you get a nice texas heart shot. Right up the tail pipe! I'm no expert, just my .02. Good luck!

RACK, I THINK BROADSIDE TO BE THE BEST. SEEMS LIKE TOMS LIKE TO APPROACH FROM THE FRONT.ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT SAFETY ISSUE WHEN HUNTING WITH JAKE DEKE'S. MONTONA DECOY HAS A NEW FULL STRUT GOBBLER SILOETTE THAT IS NOW MY NUMBER ONE CHOICE--BY SETTING THIS UP FACING BROADSIDE,THE SAFETY IS NOW LONGER OF GREAT CONCERN. THAT DECOY LOOKS REAL AND FOLDS TO ABOUT 10''DIA X1/2'' THICK--CHECKEM OUT

I started bowhunting them in the early 80's before it caught everyones attention. I have primarily used a portable blind for presenting the best shot opportunities. I made my first one in 1983 because they were not readily available back then. I currently use a D'Bull ICE Blind that I think is good and I should be able to get a good number of years service from it even though it was expensive.

If I recall, we could not use a decoy in Iowa when I started, boy that was fun when they came in and did not see anything.

I have had good luck through the years setting up on the roosting areas, hunting the natural game funnels and strutting areas.

Decoys have been beneficial for me bowhunting to get a clean shot opportunity. I like the decoys at about 10 yards facing toward me. I used only a hen for years, now my favorite setup is a hen with a jake decoy in a strutting area. I have been experiencing consistant results with good toms about 1-3 hours after daylight in the strutting areas. But any place in a good turkey spot can be an opportunity at the right time.

BH's, lots of different opinions and they are all good. Turkeys can be down right tough to kill gun or bow! I like a big cutting BH (Zwickey Delta) myself because it has worked good for me. Good Luck!
wink.gif

For what it's worth Rack I set my jake decoy at 5 yards facing quartering toward me. Then I place my hen decoys within 5 yards of him. A lot of times I'll put the jake on top of a hen. It took me 5 years of bowhunting using everything from natural terrain to burlap to springsteel blinds. A good quality ground blind makes a world of difference. Get away with lots of movment, take your kids (if you have 'em) and like M350 said: "catch up on sleep". I have a double bull T2 (smaller tent style) and love it other than it's a bit small for my body. Like you I have crested arrows and I don't know if turkeys can see them in my blind if my movments are slow & deliberate. In open timber they'd probably see them unless you waited for the perfect time to draw.

Hey, that's about it.

This is what I use.

Double Bull, No wind flap to scare the birds and easy setup. I bought the largest blind they make, the extra room is very nice. It don't matter how big, the birds are still oblivious.

Magnus Snuffers, One WHOPPER of a 3 blade broadhead. Lots of knock down power and will help your chances of keeping the arrow in the bird.

A string tracker may be the best piece of equipement you can use. I shoot out to 20 yrds with no noticable affect on arrow flight. If you hit a bird and it flys or runs a long distance I garauntee you will be wishing you used one. These birds can be the hardest animal to find after the shot.

My 2 cents.

GOOD LUCK!!

Rackaddict,
I have the loudest, gaudiest crested arrows I can come up with (white spraypaint followed by the flo green spray paint), they damn near glow in the dark and don't worry about them. I use a limbsaver product that fits over the fletching and the crests. I looked on their website but couldn't find it. They sell them at Scheels (muddy what is the name of this product). Anyway, I use that when not in the blind and don't have a problem. I also use a Double Bull T5. While I don't think they are 100% necessary for success, it sure makes it more enjoyable and relaxing for me. I will many times set it up in a good location and if that doesn't pan out I will either take it down and move it or I if I feel the need for fresh air I will "run and bow."
grin.gif

I use any where from one to ten decoys (hey, I am a freak when it comes to decoys) and really don't worry about which way it (they) are facing. I just try to make it (them) all in range and look as natural as possible.

I prefer walking away shots because it presents the biggest target (the spine).

I use Jak Hammer mechanical heads and love em.

Limb

Uhhhh.....those covers are called Limb Saver Gaudy Fletching/Cresting Cover'uppers.

I'll try and find a more "technical" term for them tonite at work.
wink.gif
And for the record Rack I also have crested arrows (white crest with 3 flourescent yellow fletches and a matching knock...look at my pic to the left), they aren't noticeable in the blinds, but you sure as hell can see them from a mile away! Last spring my buddy couldn't see me in my spring green predator camo but he knew I was coming cuz he said

"could see those arrows at 100 yrds!"

I usually use Muzzy's but am going to try Rocket Miniblasters this spring.

Top Bottom