Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

When to hang stands?

Thinkin Rut

PMA Member
After all of my shed hunting trips, post season scouting, sightings during the season and mistakes from the previous season, I know where 90% of my stand locations are going to be. I have the majority on trees by the 1st of August.

Are there any drawbacks in doing it like that?

Location, Location, Location....
It's one of the most important (if not the most important) factor in bagging a trophy. In the past I have always set up my stands in August or early September. I've had some goodluck but I could never get the big one. This past year I took a completely different approach and opted to set up the first day I went hunting. On Oct. 15th I set up my stand and bagged a trophy 9 point with my muzzleloader. On Nov. 19th I set up my stand and arrowed and trophy 12 point. Both scored over 150. I know a lot of luck was involved but it was the first time I had stepped foot in those spots since last spring. I am becoming a believer in this method. I was always guessing when I would set up my stands in August. If you can get to know the area you're hunting and you know where the funnels, creek crossings, road crossings, bedding areas etc.; are, I walk in the first time I go and set up on the hot rub or scrape line. Make maps of trees that are easy to set up in. Make maps of the easiest way to get to those spots without interfering with deer. Climber stands rule:)
I don't disagree with setting up in August. Just thought I would share my stratagy.

Try to save a couple of stands back for during the season, that way you can pinpoint a bucks travel routes. It sure beats pulling down one stand and putting it in another location. If you do that, it means about twice as much scent in your hunting area. Also, this way if the two stands are in close proximity, you can set them up for the different winds. There is nothing wrong with having your stands hung that early, except that it gives mice and squirrels more time to have their way with your seats. The bonus to doing it that early, is that you can really trim your shooting lanes in full canopy, so you can see exactly where you need to trim. Also, this gives your stand location a full two months to dissapate any scent you put out while hanging stands. Good luck!

Hats off to you for scouting in January for the upcomming fall. I always intend to do that but never seem to take the time.

My story is similar to Corn Dudes. I usually hunt public ground so legally I can not set stands until 2 weeks before season. However I have most my trees picked out well before then, and I try not to wear out any single stand. However, the deer still must manage to patern me because over time the numbers of mature deer I see become fewer, and almost every year I see the hottest action and biggest bucks by being portable during the rut. I move every 1-2 days and setup in trees 100 - 400 yards from my regular stands.

I'm getting excited. I better go shoot my bow after work tonight.

IaCraig

Unless I am absolutely 100% certain my stands will have deer moving through them I don't. I will hang stands before season in only a few instances. The stands I do hang are in an extremely good funnel area. Another instance would be around an extremely reliable early season food source such as an apple tree or nut trees which I've found are currently carrying a good mast and being hit by deer. The third instance, is stands in which I've known to produce consistently for many years, whether it is just a lone deer trail or something unique just makes it a good spot. Most all of my other stands will be hung during the third week in October, when I can see exactly what the deer are doing. I used to hang all my stands before season opened, but year to year some of my stands didn't produce to my expectations. These stands were a waste of my limited time. A-lot of my previouly hunted spots have gone hot to cold depending on the year. I feel that my time is used more wisely by waiting and scouting. Keep all those old spots in the back of your mind and check them out each season to see if they're hot or not. By paying attention to minor details when scouting I've found that I have hung fewer stands than in years past and have gotten even better results. Good luck!

Top Bottom