Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Where are the birds?????????

moosehunter

PMA Member
Been scoutin' a bit and have been seeing hardly any birds. I know they have to be around. Are they sticking in the woods? Are they in tall grasses? I'm gonna go out before sunset and see if I can find any going to bed.

Is anyone else seeing, or not seeing what I am?...
confused.gif

Saw 20 this morning with 3 or 4 toms all strutted up. All were out in a pasture havin a good old time.

Here in SE Nebraska, I've been seeing them in the pastures in the mornings and in the crop fields during the late afternoons. I hunted Sunday morning and the birds were really sounding off. I called in 2 longbeards and 4 jakes but they just wouldn't get close enough for a arrow.
frown.gif

I haven't been seeing them driving around during the day, but I did see around 20 or so in deep timber yesterday while scouting. Alot of sign in the timbers, just not really seeing them out in the fields.
confused.gif
I think alot of that has to do with not enough green fields around here where they like to strut. I know if I drove around southern Iowa I would see birds all over, so it doesn't really make sense to me
grin.gif

Moosehunter,

I was scouting in Winneshiek Co. on 04/02 and saw 19 different toms along with several dozen hens. The next day, however, I only saw five toms. They're definitely out there but they were still pretty grouped up. Best of luck to you!!!
-Longspurs-
p.s. - I never found any sheds up there
frown.gif

I spotted 9 birds last night a 1/4 mile away. 4 were toms. Even got to watch 2 of them fight a bit. One bird must be a king. Even at that distance with a good pair of glasses I could easily see a long beard on him. He looked bigger than the others too.

Some of the ones I saw looked quite majestic as well ... I'm just hoping one will give himself up on Monday morning!!!
-Longspurs-

Top Bottom