Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Where do I put my arrow???

B

Bowbendr

Got a question for all of you. I will be bowhunting this year and want to know where arrow placement should be for turkeys? I have hear right above the leg joint and also the butt of their wing. Not sure what they mean by the butt of the wing. Can anyone help? Thanks a lot!!!

I will use a part of Ultra 2's pic to show where I would shoot these. I have shot a dozen in these spots and usually breaks a wing and provides a quick kill. If you shoot low in the breast, you will likely hit meat and the turkey will travel. You hit him high like above the wing butts, they don't go near as far. If they are facing away, shoot for the middle of the back right on midline. If they are facing you, aim for the base of the beard or base of the neck. You could also go to a proshop that has the dart system and shoot a turkey round and just pay attention to the "ideal" bullseye.
waytogo.gif
Hope this helps

Attachments

• 24382-two turkeys.jpg
    24382-two turkeys.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 5
I think the best thing is to study a skinned, boned out turkey. Of course you've got to get one first to do that. Basically it's hard to hit a turkey too high. The backbone is at the top of the bird and that will drop him. The chest/abdomen is below that and that is what I shoot for. Below that is the breast bone, keel, a lot of flight muscle and then feathers. I try to shoot in the top third of the bird toward the front. That shot will usually go through the chest and often break at least one wing.

Old Buck

THE BROADSIDE SHOT IS ALWAYS GOOD. I HAVE ALSO BEEN SUCCESSFUL WITH HEAD ON, ABOUT AN INCH ABOVE THE BEARD. ANOTHER GREAT SHOT ,ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE NOT IN A BLIND, IS THE FULL STRUT BULSEYE. IF YOU ARE USED TO SHOOTING CIRCLE TARGETS, THE TEXAS HEART SHOT IS A "CHIP"(BEST TO BE AS HORIZONTAL AS POSSIBLE FOR MAX.EFFECTIVENESS.NOW, ANOTHER LETHAL SHOT IS DEFINATELY A HEAD SHOT. ITS A HIT OR MISS, USUALLY NO TRACKING INVOLVED--BUT VERY HUMANE WHEN YOU SCORE.

BEST ADVICE ON BROADHEAD WOULD BE, GO WITH THE LARGEST CUTTING DIAM. YOU'RE COMFORTABLE WITH. TRY TO KEEP THE ARROW IN THE BIRD IF SHOOTING AT THE BODY. IF POSSIBLE TRY TO USE A STRING TRACKER, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE HUNTING A RIDGE TOP WHERE A DEAD BIRD CAN LOCK ITS WINGS AND SOAR OUT OF SIGHT. ENOUGH SAID, M350 OUT, BEST OF LUCK AND REMEMBER THAT THESE ARE NOT DEER AND THEY DON'T LEAVE A BLOOD TRAIL ONCE AIRBORN.

Top Bottom