Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Where the heck did they go????

J

jason

I hunt too properties that are connected. In all there is probably around 50 acres of timber there. Well friday I hunt, and heard 5 differnt toms, and maybe a jake. Called a pair of toms in for a ways away, but they hung up about 80 to 100 yards away!
Well this morning I had a different setup on the opposite side of the timber. I got there early so I waited in my truck and listened for that first gobble. Well 6:00 rolls around, and nothing. So I get kinda nervous and just set up. 6:30 comes with out one gobble, from any where!!! I blew my hooter probably 4 times in the next 10 minutes with no response from a turkey.
By now I was getting really discouraged! So I poped my diaphram in and just let out a sequence of cuts! Calling to much and to loud trying to get a response. I did this for about 5 to 8 minutes with no gobble. 7:00 and no gobbles at all!!! I didn't know what to do, I was frustrated, and you can't kill a turkey if they aren't there, so I just left. I was just wondering why would the turkeys just pack up and leave? I've never heard of turkeys leaving an area in 2 days. I can see 2 or 3 toms heading into a different timber, but all 5!?!?!?! Have any of you guys ever faced this situation before, and if so what did you do, did u stick it out or go back to bed?

Good hunting
Jason

With the strong winds they may have roosted in another section nearby to get somewhat out of the wind or they may not have been in the mood to gobble. I've found that a lot of the time after a windy night they seem to gobble very little. I imagine trying to hang on to that limb all night wears them down a bit.

Just because they don't gobble doesn't mean they're not there. I'd never leave early just because I hadn't heard anything. I hunted all 5 days last week and never heard a gobble after 7:15 in the morning, yet I know there are turkeys everywhere in the area I hunt. Most of the birds I've shot have been mid to late morning and late afternoon.

Stick it out and put your time in...that's what makes it fun
waytogo.gif

i agree with two beards. they're there, the wind probably shut them up. lots of times wind or rain will shut birds up totally. tomorrow morning should be good, all this wind and rain and tomorrow is "supposed" to be clear and slight wind. they'll be hot to trot i'm guessing!! keep at it jason, persistance is usually rewarded.

Top Bottom