Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Which bucks do the breeding?

Thinkin Rut

PMA Member
A thought crossed my mind after reading an article in, I believe, deer and deer hunting mag. This article was about a guy's property in southern Iowa where that disease called Blue tongue(the one spread by gnats)went through. The artical went on to say this guy could not believe all the big bucks that had died and he had never seen before.

You would think that if the really mature bucks did the breeding, they would be more visable.

I understand that the majority of the bucks are not in the 5 to 7 year old range but if this was true, could the really mature bucks stay nocturnal because the drive is not there and let the aggressive 3 1/2 year old deer do the breeding?

Just a thought.

My personal feelings on this is if the mature bucks are all busy any buck can be the lucky one. A few years back I watched a small button buck mount a doe. Al

I understood that the reason 3 1/2 year old bucks do most of the breeding is that they are the most numerous age group. Most bucks don't live to a ripe old age due to hunting pressure . Figuring buck to doe ratios and the small window of time that a doe is receptive the majority would win even if they are not the dominant buck in the area. When the second estrus cycle occurs with the does that were not bred in there first cycle, my understanding is that they are usually taken by the dominant bucks since there are fewer of them to go around. A good opportunity to arrow a dominant buck.

I have also read some article's that say body size has as much to do with breeding as antler size but who really know's what goes through a buck's mind when romance is on the line!
smokin.gif

I only have hunting experience to base my feelings on, and I can't see any definate pattern in any age group except that the younger bucks are not as cautious/experienced about any of their behaviors. Us seeing bucks during the rut does not designate what breeding actually occurs unless we witness it. I have seen bruiser bucks running scrapes and tending does way back in the thickets that I would not expect to see in the more open areas. I also have seen button bucks trying to mount does, and medium range bucks actually doing the deed. I think of them much like the human male in some of their romantic behavior. It is an individual thing in some cases.

The teenager does not think things out as much with a total survival plan involved, he's young and will live forever. The older buck can get his needs met without running into the firing line. And perhaps much happens after dark and in places we do not go.

Perhaps the younger and medium bucks cover more ground and do more breeding. But in my opinion it really does not appear to matter as someone appears to be doing a good job around here regardless which it is
wink.gif

...perhaps the young bull - old bull joke that most of you have heard holds true for whitetails...

...a young bull and an old bull are in a pasture with a bunch of nervous cows...the young bull says to the old one, "Let's each chase down a cow and then do her!" The old bull replies, "No son, let's sneak up on them and do them all."...(close enough, anyway)...

I kind've think that those older bucks find a doe that's hot and they don't chase her as much, they know that when she's ready she'll give 'em what they need. That's why you see 'em bedded up together a lot of the time. Those young bucks get a whiff and just go nuts and chase her everywhere, when big boy comes along he corrals her away from the little guys and keeps her to himself in a secluded area (if possible) till she's ready. No need chasing her all over and letting other bucks know she's hot to trot. A lot of the time I see a big buck doggin' a doe there's one or several little guys doin' most of the doggin' and that big guy is just hangin' out waitin' for that right moment to say: "You will respect my authoritay!!", and then he takes control.

I think I've had too much coffee...I don't know if that made any sense...that and it's Friday.

Muddy, that makes perfect sence! That is pretty much my observation. I,ve wittnessed several large dominant buck at close range & each one responded the same way while with does. They would not chase the doe or does but nonchalantly try to heard them up by slowly semi-circuling the doe while giving very soft tending grunts. The only buck I ever see flat out chasing are the younger buck under 3 1/2 years old. It's like you said, the old boys know when it's time & they don't have to exert themselves to get what they want.

I watched a large 9 pointer last hunting season in mid November from over 200 yards away for 3 hours. He was with 5 other buck, 3 small ones came across the open field by my stand while he bedded in a fence row. After a while a two other 2 1/2 year old buck chased a doe right up to where the big one was bedded. The doe eventually strolled by his nose & stood about 20' from him, he got up, walked over to shiff her, turned around & layed down again. Twenty minutes later she does it again & takes a piss, he gets up, smells her urine & where it came from, walked back, made a scrape a layed down again for close to 2 hours before dissapearing.

Have another cup of coffee, TGIF for sure!

I agree with most of muddy's experience too. I am originally from northern Iowa where if you sit on a hill with a spotting scope you can see for miles once the corn is out. It seems that at night the big boys gather a herem and herd them out to the middle of sections and keep them there all day. I have watched them with a spotting scope hoping to see where they go so I know where to sit in the morning and usually the buck does not let them return back to the timber/river until it is almost to dark to watch them.

IaCraig

Top Bottom