Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Which clover?

KSQ2

PMA Member
The plot I put in a few weeks ago to milo and beans is completely drowned out. I was just going to let it rest 'til fall and plant brassica, but the landowner wants something in it over summer. He asked if we could put clover in. My question is a lazy one, I did a little poking around on some of the clover threads and didn't find what I was looking for. What type of clover should I get? The spot is about an acre and a half. Ph is good, and it's been fertilized some, not much, only about 60 lbs. on an acre of it. The soil is good though. Used to be a garden area that has been let go for about 5 years. It should be hit pretty hard by the deer and I'd like to get something that handles summer heat pretty well. Thanks in advance.

From what my friends told me after planting this spring is that if clover isn't in by now, it might be a wasted planting. The clover they said needs to "establish" itself before the heat hits and therefore planting in the fall with a rye cover would be the best bet at this point and provide great fall plot with the rye. Then you'll see the clover emerge next spring. This is only what I've been taught but I had the same idea lasy year and was told this late, clover is best to wait until fall (Aug-sept). I have one plot left that I will lant with clover/rye in August. Let me know what you end up doing. I had a great fall last year because of Rye...works great!

I hope this isn't true because I am planting my clover plots tomorrow. We have had a wet spring and I have just now been able to get everything done. I am planting 2 acres in a virgin pasture so it will be interesting.

Your further north and it might work but it seems the more I ask the more that I am told it is too late. I planted mine in mid may and was told it might grow with proper rain but I am learning as I go as well. Hopefully Doubletree will be able to help..I promise he will know /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I don't know how late is too late to get clover to catch but I have gotten clover to grow this late. If you are thinking of putting in a fall plot you may want to try beans again now and then put in wheat/clover this fall.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What type of clover should I get? </div></div>

If your looking for a temporary clover to fill in until you plant brassicas, then berseem clover would be an inexpensive way to provide cover, feed and add some nitrogen to the soil in the process.

If you want to establish a permanent clover stand then I prefer (at this point) to wait until late July to mid-August for a clear stand or late August with a ceral grain crop.

Right now might be fine if we continue to get the moisture we are but if that ends then waiting might be better.

I guess to specifically answer your question of "which clover" we need to know a little more of your intentions?? Is this a short or long term clover plot?

Another option is planting buckwheat for a quick easy cover crop.

The land owner just wants something in the plot over summer months and he thought clover would be a good option b/c of the nitrogen-adding quality. I'd like to have something I could easily put brassica into this fall with light tilling. Is the berseem clover an annual? Could I get it at most feed/seed stores? Also, I've seen buckwheat mentioned in quite a few threads, is it widely available, and does it produce a head at maturity that would have to be dealt with?

Dbltree, I've been scanning some of your buckwheat threads and I think I'm going to try and track some down. I talked to the landowner and he said it sounded good to him. How far into the flowering stage do you let it go before you work it up? One of the articles said around seven days, has that worked well for you?

Just ordered 50 lbs of buckwheat from welters. I found some down here, but it was over 70 miles away, with these gas prices, I'd rather pay shipping. I made sure to mention iowawhitetail.com, that should get me a free year's worth of premium membership in my book. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How far into the flowering stage do you let it go before you work it up? One of the articles said around seven days </div></div>

I just try not to let it actually go to seed...not a big deal but it's best to till it under when green and it can volunteer a little if it goes to seed.

It will turn brown and begin to fall over after it goes to seed, so for "green manure" it's best to till it under as it begins flowering. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom