Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Which Clovers?

loneranger

Which White Clovers o you like best? Alice White,,Ladino,,Jumbo Ladino,,Alsike? Is it good to mix some Red Clover in,,,or just stay with White in one area?

Mix em all. All have their good points. Alice white, kopu II, durana, ladino - all fairly similar but I still mix a few of those. Great for growing anywhere & deer preference. Alsike is just another option for deer that's cheap, grows in wetter soils (which if wet I do white & alsike). Red is again another option That at certain times deer really seem to like. Maybe more stemmy & not as palatable as whites but I always include some.
If u really wanna get fussy- seperate them out and watch what deer prefer- it also will change (from my experience) during time of yr and season (say, red may get more attn in spring).

What Skip said! I mix 3 oe 4 whites, and red is cheap so I always go back over an area with a bunch of that in case I missed a spot or two with the mix of whites. Got a wet spot that I'm going to try the Alsike on this year.

Good info already shared, so I won't repeat that. But another tidbit to keep in mind...red clover is more likely to grow a little taller/faster than white, and that might be a factor for some when they then have to mow it a couple/few times per summer.

In other words, red clover might be a little more of a task on you and your mower, because it will be taller/thicker, and may need to be done more often than white clovers.

I would consider white clover easier to maintain for that reason. White clover seed is more expensive than red, but easier to maintain in my experience.

Good info already shared, so I won't repeat that. But another tidbit to keep in mind...red clover is more likely to grow a little taller/faster than white, and that might be a factor for some when they then have to mow it a couple/few times per summer.

In other words, red clover might be a little more of a task on you and your mower, because it will be taller/thicker, and may need to be done more often than white clovers.

I would consider white clover easier to maintain for that reason. White clover seed is more expensive than red, but easier to maintain in my experience.

White also offers better competition to weeds - it's spread with stolons and can spread out like carpet. Thus another benefit of the maintenance issue. All above clovers are examples of anything I plant and can be frost seeded. If you're planting traditionally in spring and not frost seeding, I'd add some Berseem and Crimson clover - annuals that can't be frost seeded but (somewhat like oats) grow fast to help choke out weeds, deer love em, they are cheap, put N into soil but they don't last years like other clovers will. Traditional planting, I would for sure include em among the others.

Top Bottom