Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Why did......

Fishbonker

Life Member
....the turkey cross the road?

Or do they? I live next to a very busy highway. I often watch turkeys move through the field across the highway and I know I have turkeys on my side of the highway, but will the flocks move from one side of the highway to the other or is the high traffic count a deterrent? I’ve seen plenty of turkeys on lesser traveled roads, but I don’t recall ever seeing one on a busy highway. That’s not to say there aren’t turkeys killed every year on busy roads, but I don’t think turkeys cross busy roads like deer try to.

So if I see a flock of 20 turkeys across the highly traveled road can I expect them to cross or will they stay put? I’ve seen way more turkeys on the other side of the road than I have on my side.

The ‘Bonker

I think it depends a little on the terrain features.

I can personally say that the turkeys on our ground cross the highway on a fairly regular basis. Its pretty busy as its close to town. Lately there is a dozen or so that you can see on either side every 2 or 3 days.

In Nebraska i hunt an area where they often roost less than fifty yards from the road.

they cross it daily!

Top Bottom