Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Why is the DNR closing gun ranges?

The Butch Olafson Range was temporarily closed due to safety violations by the operator. It was suppsosed to open back up this fall but the operator has the DNR all tied up in court.

I guess there were some pretty serious safety violations.

I'm not sure what the story is about the badger creek range.

I don't think that the DNR is plotting against gun owners like the guy who puts up the iowasportsman web page would like you to think.

There are no bigger advocates for hunting and gun rights than the DNR...This organization(the iowa sportman federation) is clueless.

They hold some pretty radical views that hurt all sportsmen and women. They all seem a little too paranoid and have too much time on their hands if you ask me.

AJ

[This message has been edited by AJ (edited 01-17-2002).]

AJ....to say the DNR is the biggest advocate for gun rights and hunters and the ISF is clueless....well indicates to me you're the clueless one. Better get your facts right. The DNR could have implemented a handgun deer season years ago, but fought it tooth and toenail. The Iowa Sportsmen's Federation lobbied the legislature to over-ride the DNR's decision, and thanks to them we now have a handgun deer season. Don't count on a state agency to fight for your gun rights....

Each year the state of Iowa receives a large sum of money from the Pittman-Robertson fund (taxes on guns & ammo). A percentage of this is mandated by law to go to the developement of new and existing shooting ranges. The last shooting range built with this money was the Butch Olafson facility...that's been a long time ago. Ask yourself what has the DNR been doing with that percentage of money since? Can anyone name me one new range the DNR has built in recent years?.....follow the money......there are those that think it has been mis-managed or the DNR is in violation of the rules governing funds from Pittman-Robertson.

I sure missed the Butch Olafson Range this year. I am looking for another place to sight in rifles, Where is everyone else going?

Just my opinion, but I won't be too broken hearted if Butch Olafson Range gets a new operator. Even though Jack knows guns, he kept the place reasonably clean and I never saw him being unsafe, I sure got tired of his foul language and his constant complaining about the Iowa DNR. And since he so openly demonstrated his dislike for the DNR before, I can't imagine what his attitude would be be like if continued to run the place after this.

Top Bottom