Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Win 223 WSSM

jcutter

Ok Gentlemen, let me hear it. The good. The bad. Whatever you got. I just picked one up and will be using it for prairie dogs and yotes. I haven't even shot it yet. If you have any experience with this gun, what are your thoughts.

.223wssm

what do you gain? what do you give up? you gain like 200 fps which equates to what in yards? you must hand load....period.....you have to. no buying any rounds at stores anywhere. I dont want to bash you but geez? Really?

I looked at this caliber this winter and was considering it for yotes after finding some Winchester ammo on the shelf and was curious. The energy of this round in a small caliber is awesome. Tell us what you think once you shoot it. I decided to stay with with a more practical timeless cartridge but if you like to play with these types of things It looks like it would be fun. I can see prairie dogs being vaporized by this round.
All from Wikipedia below According to Browning, the .223 WSSM offers a 600 ft/s (180 m/s) gain, with a 55 gr (3.6 g) bullet, over the standard .223 Rem. It also offers a 440 ft/s (130 m/s) gain over the 22-250, a popular vermin round. This comes out to a 600 ft·lbf (810 J) gain over a standard .223 Rem, and a 350 ft·lbf (470 J) gain over the 22-250.[9] It is currently the fastest production .22 caliber round in the world with muzzle velocities as high as 4,600 feet per second (1,402 meters per second).[2] [3] [4] [5]

Last edited:
What's the problem with reloading? Some of us actually enjoy it, almost as much as shooting. You can choose your bullet, maximize performance as well as "hand tune" an accurate load for each gun. Plus, it's just plain a fun pastime. I've currently got 3 rifles in my safe (30/378 WBY & two 300WMs) that have a few thousand rounds through them and have never seen a factory load.

I looked at getting one of those. Its an intriguing cartridge and I liked its potential. But I don't hand load so I passed on getting one. It'll be heck on coyote though. Let us know what it does to the pelt when you get one.

If you don't hand load Winchester has at least 3 different offerings for factory ammo I have not looked but there may be others now.

I know a few guys who use them down here on Coue's whitetail. Its not the best long-range round for deer (an issue out here), but I've heard nothing but good about it from those I know who use it. As far as the handloading comments, I'm dead on with those in favor of it. So what if factory ammo is limited. If you have a good supply of the components reload away. I'm willing to keep my eyes open down here to help you track down brass, bullets, etc. as well as put some feelers out for any reloaders down here that will give up some data.

I won't lie, I've been extremely tempted to get one just because the case looks so darn cool all squat like that!

I do not own a 223wssm or have I been around one, but I do have a 243wssm and I love it! The downside of the wssm line is they are a very high pressure round, which makes them harder on barrels. But ballistically it will be night and day better than your standard 223 rem.

Top Bottom