Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Winter and Spring Scouting

B

Baker

I plan on bow hunting some knew ground for the 2002 season and want to start scouting for stand locations. I plan to go out this winter to look for well used trails in the snow, as well as rubs. In the spring I plan on looking again and hopefully use the trails scrapes and rubs I see to decide how the deer move in the timber. I live in the immediate area and know the crops around and a few good draws that they like to travel trough, so that is a start. I was wondering if anyone had any tips that they wave found useful in scouting when the seasons are over? I'm am no seasoned veteran so everything helps.

Baker, sounds like you've got some pretty good ideas on how to get started. In late summer, mid-July or later, I like to take the binoculars and go for a drive around areas I have permission to hunt.

In late afternoons, when the deer come out to feed, you can sometimes catch a group of bucks together feeding, and get a look at what the upcoming season might have in store. Antlers are pretty much developed by then and you can sometimes sneak a peek at some nice bucks. Keep in mind that feeding patterns change later on, but you might find an active feeding area for early bow season.

I like to take my kids along and it's a fun outing for them. Good luck.

MO

Excellent idea, and lots of fun for off season action to boot. 90 % of the hunt is the anticipation anyway......

Keep an eye out for those elusive racks the the bucks drop. The thicker the cover the better. (indications of core areas)

Keep a journal of what you find so you can review when next season comes.

You will find the area looks totaly differnt when its green.

Good luck.

Baker, something I like to do now(winter/spring) is to trim out any trees that I've picked out this past hunting season
for next season. Being trimmed out now instead of a month or two before the season starts seems to be less disruptive to the animals daily patterns. Just my .02cents

Steve

Sorry I'm so late with this reply, but I've had computer problems of my own. I wanted to thank you guys for you help. I'll remember it when I go Scouting.

Top Bottom