Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Winter feed

I was thinking of putting out a little feed for the deer on some of the property that I can hunt, since it has been so rough and is getting worse. I am not going to put out corn because of the concern of killing them with to many carbohydrates this late in the year. Would alfalfa hay be recommended instead? Any thoughts.

If you are in any part of Iowa or any other area with significant corn/bean production, the deer may be hungry but they are not "starving" and the risk of killing them by putting out some corn as supplemental feed is pretty nil. Might happen in way northern Minnesota or Michigan or other areas where deer yard up in the timber & survive winter on tree bark etc.. The digestive system on Iowa deer remains adjusted to a reasonable level of carbohydrates and can tolerate corn rather well. I have fed some corn for years & the only winter mortality I have noticed was coyote related not nutritional.

Top Bottom