Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Winter kill

Yup it's bad up here. Just got 8-10" of snow yesterday. The deer are no longer in the fields at all. The snow has them herded up in the timber. There's people finding dead deer now and I'm afraid once the snow goes and the shed hunters hit the timber there's gonna be a lot. There's still a lot of standing corn up here but the snows 5 ft deep in it too. It's been a long time since I've seen this much snow.

I saw an article from northern Minnesota yesterday where they are putting up emergency deer feeding stations. Thought it was pretty cool

Been feeding hay to keep inventory makes me sick how thin some of these deer are. Looks like a lot of coyote feed:(

Last edited:
That sucks big time...I feel for you guys on the east side of the state. Our oldest is in grad school at UNI and she has frequently talked about how much snow has fallen in that part of the state. We've had plenty of brutally cold temps in the NW corner, but I'd say snow cover would fall into the normal category for us...maybe even a bit below. Here's hoping the warming trend hits soon.

NWBuck

Coldest winter here in 30 years, most snow in about 15. Perfect conditions for a serious kill off. Something silly like 45-50 days of -40 temps thus far. It's ore the snow than the cold that kills them eventually b/c of food, but those cold days take calories.

Top Bottom