Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Winter Rye

eiowaarcher

So I first used dbltree's 3 years ago (before i joined IW or knew who paul was) when my uncle had told me about it. I've had very good luck with this mix/rotation but I acquired another farm last summer and decided to try doing food plots on it this year. Clover is just starting to come up but I'm worried I don't have room to do clover, turnips, and rye so I was wondering if anybody has tried to spread winter rye seed in a standing corn field in late Aug/early Sept? Will this work or will the rye need to be drilled in? Any opinions would be great. Thanks.

So I first used dbltree's 3 years ago (before i joined IW or knew who paul was) when my uncle had told me about it. I've had very good luck with this mix/rotation but I acquired another farm last summer and decided to try doing food plots on it this year. Clover is just starting to come up but I'm worried I don't have room to do clover, turnips, and rye so I was wondering if anybody has tried to spread winter rye seed in a standing corn field in late Aug/early Sept? Will this work or will the rye need to be drilled in? Any opinions would be great. Thanks.

I have done something similar and it can work, BUT...IMO you need the rain to fall for you just about right for things to work out. Rye grows very easily, but under a canopy of corn leaves, etc, I am not sure that would give you what you are looking for. It might, but I would say it is risky.

Top Bottom