Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Winter so far:

loneranger

Thus far weather has been quite moderate for Iowa. Dec was generally mild with little to no snow,,especially central and south. West Coast saw the storms and much needed moisture. Major wet track stayed south of Iowa. Now,,there is a major shift remiding us of last Jan. Warm dry ridge to the west, Dumping Frigid ,Artic cold into the plains and Iowa. Could be a repeat of last year. Deep frost lines and frigid windchills, for quite some time!

I was skeptical at first, but your long term forecasts and trends have generally been spot on. Nicely done.

Well I don't forecast,,just look at the current patterns. Trends were just going that way. Generally for the upper mid corn belt. Drier than you might expect,,with Artic cold shots. Now that it is winter,patterns usually hang in there until a season change. Alberta Clippers are the major snow producers in this pattern but the snows are localized over narrow areas and fluffy. Like the one coming into Iowa Monday-the 5th.

Well I don't forecast,,just look at the current patterns. Trends were just going that way. Generally for the upper mid corn belt. Drier than you might expect,,with Artic cold shots. Now that it is winter,patterns usually hang in there until a season change. Alberta Clippers are the major snow producers in this pattern but the snows are localized over narrow areas and fluffy. Like the one coming into Iowa Monday-the 5th.

Loneranger,
You have just ruined a perfectly good winter for me.
Thank you sir. :)

Whyhave I ruined it? Yalike snow? Quite a bit fell on a diagonal across Iowa today but SW Iowa and NE Iowa got little. Next big storm with real moisture,,once again to stay south, over the weekend,, and up the east coast as has been the case for many wks.

You made my winter. Hope your right. Bring on the ice fishing and calling yotes.

After the deer season closes it can get up to 60 IMO.

I love being outdoors but cutting timber in 24" of snow on a hillside is not a good time.
As far as the yotes I do love hunting them but I might start trapping them as well.
I think I could shoot plenty of them anyway in 60 degree weather. :D
The last 3 winters have been hard on this old man. :confused:

Steady as she goes,,nexr 10 days similar to last Jan. Dry,,any available H2O staying in the Ohio valley,,after the Artic leaves,,milder,,,until the nextDump of Chill builds up and plunges down. Hard on my fruit trees and sending frost deep!

Infact forcast for the next week-- Anchorage is to be in the 30's,even FairBanks about like Iowa--- temps in the teens,, near zero is all at night! The old saying holds true. "There is only a barbed wire fence between Iowa and the North Pole,,,and it just blew down!"

Steady as she goes,,nexr 10 days similar to last Jan. Dry,,any available H2O staying in the Ohio valley,,after the Artic leaves,,milder,,,until the nextDump of Chill builds up and plunges down. Hard on my fruit trees and sending frost deep!

If I remember correctly we had record snowfall last year. January was dry last year? I really don't want to do a search to check it. :)

No,,most of Iowa had zilch snowfall on the ground for Jan. Don't you remember all the frozen water lines and frost depths 4 ft deep? Lots of bare ground and frigids winds made up last winter. My place in the southeast,,we had a grand total of 8 inches on the ground for a week in late Feb that was all. Big batch of moisture on the radar once again heading up the Ohio Valley twards the East Coast, just where all the major precip events have been going for the past months. In winter that is good news,,No big snow storms,,no Ice storms,,,only I have heard NW Iowans are saying it is dry up there again for past months. Hopefully Spring will correct this. Probably like last spring,,,suddenly--Floods!:confused:

No,,most of Iowa had zilch snowfall on the ground for Jan. Don't you remember all the frozen water lines and frost depths 4 ft deep? Lots of bare ground and frigids winds made up last winter. My place in the southeast,,we had a grand total of 8 inches on the ground for a week in late Feb that was all. Big batch of moisture on the radar once again heading up the Ohio Valley twards the East Coast, just where all the major precip events have been going for the past months. In winter that is good news,,No big snow storms,,no Ice storms,,,only I have heard NW Iowans are saying it is dry up there again for past months. Hopefully Spring will correct this. Probably like last spring,,,suddenly--Floods!:confused:

I remember the cold and how deep the frost went. I also remember that we were 2" away from record snowfall in Waterloo/Cedar Falls.

Well May have been that way up there,,but most of Iowa had little snow cover most of winter,,,hence,,the deep frost!

Top Bottom