Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wisconsin Bans doe hunting

newfarmer

Does anyone know more about it? I read they are banning doe hunting up north for 4 years. However most that I read said they need to kill wolves first sounds like the state actually stepped in to do it. Just curious I guess

This would likely be good news based on maybe 30-40 hard core guys I know around the state. I had some guests from WI this year that didn’t see a single deer in a week up there. Sat my place “in one night- saw more & better bucks than last 10 years combined in WI”. & everyone else I talk to is disappointed at the very best. What a disaster.

WI, MI & MN have to be some of the most mismanaged states out there. Ones with huge potential. Regulations have always been a disaster & now the forces of nature double up to destroy the deer hunting up there.

Once u decimate a population with liberal regulations- sometimes rebounds take far longer than folks realize. It would be same for a massive winter or EHD kill (winter being part of these stories in N states). When u have high predation - wolves, bear, bobcats or coyotes …. U could literally stop shooting deer & would take many years to rebound. 60-80% fawn kill rates in some regions. In iowa- I am certain we have some pockets with 50% fawn kill rates from coyotes. That’s a HUGE deal and the coyote one is overlooked by even most hunters.

Glad we don’t have wolves & bears!! & glad those regulations of our Northern friends didn’t bleed south. We sure could send some common sense regulations your direction at no cost!!! I hope they don’t need to hit “rock bottom” before they make a change - but I suspect it might be the case.

They’d be better off canceling the deer season for one or two years in that area. If they just ban doe harvest the bucks will get whacked like crazy !! I know it’s not ideal, or popular but you have to make tough decisions sometimes!

They’d be better off canceling the deer season for one or two years in that area. If they just ban doe harvest the bucks will get whacked like crazy !! I know it’s not ideal, or popular but you have to make tough decisions sometimes!
I personally do not know enough to agree or disagree with you, but your idea, while dramatic, may well be what is necessary up there in the Great White North. :) FWIW, I often listen/watch a weekly show on YouTube called "Michigan Outdoors". The fresh version from yesterday featured one of the hosts talking one on one with a Michigan deer biologist and even though both men kept their cool, the conversation did include some friction as it relates to MI deer populations and regulations, etc.

One clear theme was that the UP deer population is historically LOW and getting worse apparently. Wolves, among other things, appear to be a key faactor...at least in the minds of many. Short, short version...there appears to be a great amount of frustration with the MI DNR...whether the fault lies with them or not. Regulations matter guys, they really, really do and while I am not comparing the UP of MI directly to IA, I am underscoring the point(s) that Skip, and several others, makes here so very often. Quit jacking around with all of our seasons and methods of harvest, etc, etc, to make things easier and easier, etc.

Sport deer hunting is much more fragile than what many people seem to think it is. (I am not directing this to the average IW guys at all, BTW.) We REALLY need to fight the stupid hard before our heritage is severely damaged by regs that harm, not help, the resource.

I actually know one of the representatives who is working on this legislation as he is a childhood friend of my brother. Like any legislation it changes a million times before it reaches the end funnel so the final bill is to be determined. I grew up in N. Wisconsin and I know several people who didn't even see a deer in the 9 day gun season. Wisconsin is a disaster in terms of management and the state has been giving out free doe tags for years (like since the early 2000s). Extra doe tags have been $2 each or literally free in that time. Last year for example people could buy an archery tag and a gun tag and receive 3 free doe tags with each purchase for a total of 6 free doe tags/person. I have also heard there has also been some confusion with people possibly buying 2 archery tags (1 for compound and 1 for crossbow) and then another one for gun. The predator population has also substantially grown and impacted the deer herd in the northern regions.

With all of that background it is my understanding this bill was made in an attempt to clarify how many tags a person can buy and eliminate the extra doe tags given out in the Northern part of the state where deer populations are lower for a trial period of 4 years. I believe the original intent was to limit hunters (in the northern region) to one either sex tag good for the whole season in an attempt to calm the people who say they might not see a buck all year and want to be able to shoot a deer for meat if they see a doe. The goal was to help reduce harvest in this area and attempt to bring back populations in the Northern part of the state. There has been a lot of pushback and currently I think they are looking at still giving out 2 buck tags but eliminating the extra doe tags. I know the state used to give out party tags where a group of hunters would apply for a doe tag and then select groups would be awarded a doe tag for their group. I believe this was in the 80s and predator populations were lower. Ultimately this led to an increase in deer population and by the late 90s the war on does began and has worsened until today. I think this is an honest attempt to try to fix the declining populations but predator populations also need to be addressed and I think this bill will be drastically different by the time they get any lawmakers to agree on the content of the bill.

If you want to know what Iowa could look like without hunters lobbying for keeping this state as it is look no further than our neighbors. Yes the predators impact some of these states but it is the overharvest of does that led to a declining population along with excessive CWD harvesting. Like it or not if tags are available there will be hunters who buy them and fill them despite what is needed by local populations. Some of the bad things Wisconsin has experienced in my hunting lifetime in my opinion are excessive cheap/free doe tags, introduction of crossbows into archery, adding/extending seasons and lack of predator control. They also have a 9 day gun season around the Middle to end of November but this would never be changed due to traditions much like party hunting here in Iowa. The good thing about how Iowa does their gun seasons is they spread out the pressure instead of everyone hitting the woods at the same time and they keep it out of the main breeding season. I hope everyone realizes how great Iowa has been for hunting and it's due to the regulations the state has had. It can all go away very quickly and it only takes a few small changes.

The Feds and the antis want the deer herd decimated. That will slow or stop hunting tradition over time.
It will also force the wolves to travel. They want them back in all 48 states. Sound nuts? It is, but they have long term goals.
No hunting, no guns, and many would like no people on this earth.

Top Bottom