Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wisconsin: Fewer Turkeys

blake

Life Member
Wisconsin Hunters Harvest Fewer Turkeys

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — State wildlife officials say hunters took fewer turkeys this spring.

The Department of Natural Resources says hunters registered 47,359 birds. That's down 9.6 percent from 52,581 turkeys last year.

The agency issued 217,444 permits for the spring hunt, nearly 700 fewer permits than last spring. Hunters' overall success rate was 22 percent, down from 24 percent last year.

DNR ecologists say a wet spring in 2008 and a cool summer in 2009 led to below-average brood production.

picture.php

Sounds about right, it was very evident through all 6 seasons that there was not the same number of birds around. Even when the hens went to nest there was little or no gobbling. I spent several days in the woods not hearing a single gobble after sundown, hard to stay focused after say, 5-6 hours of hearing... nothing.

I know many frustrated hunters who didn't get a turkey. Thank god I got mine in iowa because this would have been my first of 10 yrs not to get a mature tom.

Top Bottom