Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wishlist

SaskGuy

Being new to this bowhunting this...i definately need to tweak my supplies somewhat. Help me out.
Elimitrax or Dream Season Boot???
What Decoy???
What "cheap" rangefinder
Scent containment clothing (which brand?)

I've always just said..play the wind but it's definately diff't with a bow....pretty hard to get in the middle of a 600 acre block of woods and ensure nothing is going to come downwind..In fact, I have ZERO spots that allow for me to "cut out" downwind approaches, regardless wind direction. Hell.....I'm not sure the stuff works but hell maybe it'll give me a confidence boost.

So there it is...the 4 things I decided I NEED...help me decide.

Boy, I can't help you on the boot or decoy, but my suggestion is something with LOTS of thinsulate for the boots! Decoy - again, no help.

From what I have with the rangefinder is a Nikon 440 Prostaff off of ebay or if you have a local shop you go to. Ebay has the lowest prices and will definitely get you out to where you need to range to, unless you are rifle hunting over 300 yards. This one was the cheapest for me and works the best for range I need it for.

Also, as far as scent elimination, I love my buckskin Scent Lok. I love it for the quietness and comfortability factor when shooting a bow. I guess it is supposed to last longer than Scentblocker, but who knows...I got it because it was comfortable and really quiet. I never rely fully on the scent elimination, but it sounds like in your case you can't do that, so I would give it a shot...there are positive and negative reviews to both Scentblocker and Scent Lok, but I chose Scent Lok...

Best wishes and have fun buying stuff! I get like a kid in the candy store when I "get" to buy hunting stuff!!

save your money and dont buy the carbon clothing. Keep your clothes clean, take a shower before you go out and use some good scent elimation spray. Works like a charm.

I like my 440 bushnell rangefinder. Just under 200 bucks.

If your carrying your decoy along ways better go with a smaller one.

I did not spend alot of coin on rangefinders - Bushnell sport 450 - about $150-175 (does the job for me)

Clothing - I would focus more on quietness versus scent containment. Shower before every hunt, wash garments frequently if you overheat, hang outside from Sept on, play the thermals when available, etc. This would be the last thing I would buy on a budget.

Boots - I am sure you know more about good boots than I do based on where you live.

Decoy - not tried yet

Thanks for the replies so far guys...I appreciate them.

Brent and Jason....I understand the importance of clean clothes etc..vs scent containment etc....but understand that when I hunt....very.....very...very..rarely do I have time for a leak when get home let alone a shower, it just isn't feasible for me, except Saturdays..so while I understand the importance...9 times out of 10 I'm heading afield smelling like a mini van, a school full of stinky kids...and a dental office....it's a given.lol

I use scent eliminator spray by the gallon..and this time of yr....it's pointless....it's a frozen ball by the time it hits my boots.

Boots - No help picking either of those brands. Just the warmest one.

Decoy - Boss, Bobble-head, Carrylite. I bought the bobble-head, only got to use it a few times before our firearms season.

Range finder - I know several people that have the bushnel 440 and like it.

Clothing - I honestly wouldnt bother with carbon. I would buy good camo that you like. Then I spend some money and buy a good air-tight container. Some dirt waffers in with your camo in air tight contianer will do wonders for hiding your scent. Maybe you should think about keeping a set of clothes in a container with hunting gear. You can go straight afield, change clothes and then put your camo on. That would help eliminate the common human odors.

Dean

For boots, you cant' beat these. I just bought a pair earlier in the year, and they are way to warm for early season in Iowa. The right socks, I bet they would be good for you up there. For the price, you can't go wrong. boots

As for range finders, this one is what I use, not the top of the line, but it does what it is supposed to do. I really like mine.
Again, for the money, you can't beat it. Range finder

As for clothing, I can't help you out, it seems to be a little colder up there than down here, so whatever keeps you warm.

Sask,

I've got the Nikon Prostaff 440 and it works great for me.

I'm just not convinced that scent continment clothing works, must be the science teacher in me, so I would say save your money. This is my first year hunting with Grey Wolf clothes, and I cannot say enough good things about them. Well worth every penny.

The times I've not had time to shower I've wiped down with some big scent eliminating wipes and then put my clothes on. I also always keep my clothes in a big storage container with some scent wafers in them to keep them as scent free as possible.

As far as boots, my feet seem to get cold very easily, so I wouldn't know what would be best in the tundra up there. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

my wish list never ends as i figure out more and more things every year that i "need"
havent started mine yet....
i think i may own a lonewolf and sticks next year though....

Plastic tote boxes are great for storing your hunting clothes. Add a few spruce boughs and away you go. I've been doing it for decades. Dress where you park. Cold but effective.

Boots: look into the "Kamik" line. a name you should be familiar with. They have them all the way from non insulated all the way to -140F.

I avoid like the plague any of the rubber boots on our market. Most are way to heavy, although improvments have been made. However, if you have to walk any distance at all your feet start sweating making any of the insulating qualities questionable in extreem cold.

I know this for a fact so please believe it. You will find better cold weather hunting type boots in Canada then you will down here or from any of our big mail order companies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">save your money and dont buy the carbon clothing. Keep your clothes clean, take a shower before you go out and use some good scent elimation spray. Works like a charm.

I like my 440 bushnell rangefinder. Just under 200 bucks.

If your carrying your decoy along ways better go with a smaller one.
</div></div>

I agree with Vman on clothing. Stay clean and spray down.

Nikon 440 is one I have bought for my wife and two sons. They all like them. They definately don't gather light well. You still need to carry quality binos.

I have used the Carry Lite decoy and haven't heard of any better.

x-scent, ab-scent, and other undergarments with the silver thread technology. kills bacteria at the skin surface, that cause odor. that, along with what everyone else says about clothing scent routines. maybe layer a good heavy fleece underwear between xscent and outer camo. i'm not sold on carbon either.
rangefinder deals can be found on ebay...especially on older units. can't offer anything on boots, you have a whole different idea of cold

Top Bottom